Stewart reverse roll not as advertised - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-03-2001, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my Stewart Grayhawk screen yesterday and installed it tonight and discovered that it unusable because I was misinformed on how reverse roll was implemented.

I called the local rep, and talked to several salesmen about reverse roll and was told that I would mount the screen just like a normal roll except the screen would come out the front edge of the cabinet instead of the back edge of the cabinet. If I had ever seen a Stewart screen I would have realized that this was wrong, since the opening of the cabinet is towards the back.

I mounted the screen and wired the AC as if it was a normal roll screen. With a reverse roll that means I see the back side of the screen when it is down. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

So I see that I have 2 options
1) Return it to Stewart if possible and have them switch it to normal roll. Any idea what that would cost me?

2) Figure out someway to reverse the mounting and move the AC to the other end. It's wall mounted so it's not going to be easy to reverse it. Has anybody else done this with a wall mounted screen and if so what kind of brackets did you use?

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I'm bummed http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif
-- Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-03-2001, 12:24 PM

Dear Graig,

First of all, not to worry, you will not be left alone in the cold to solve your installation problems by yourself. The factory policy is to do "what ever is required" to make you happy at no cost to you.

But I must say that I am somewhat confused by your post.

It sounds like you special ordered a custom "Reverse Rolled Screen". Reversed Rolled screens are made by flipping the screen housing around 180 degrees. In other words, what would normally be the front of the screen housing is now the back. Also, the electrical hook ups are now on the right side of the housing instead of the normal left side. This allows the screen to roll out of the front of the screen housing. One would special order a reverse roll screen in installations where the screen needs to avoid hitting wall paintings, fireplace mantels, etc as the screen descends into the room. For all the design reasons above, we fax to the dealer a very detailed "Shop Drawing" with all the critical dimensions of the custom screen. We require that the dealer return the drawings with their signed approval before we even start the manufacturing of the custom screen. We have found that the "Shop Drawing Sign Off" policy is worth a thousand words, or maybe better said as you put it, "As Advertised." We strictly enforce it with our dealers to avoid this type of screen design confusion. Graig, it sounds like you never saw these drawings??? Perhaps for the future we need to change our internal policy that the end user must approve these drawings with a sign off also??? (In the past most electric screens were specified and installed by the dealer and end user sign off had no real benefits.)

I would like to suggest that you contact your dealer on Monday so that they can make arrangements to return the unit to us so the we can rescreen your unit in the normal roll manner, at no cost to you. In the meantime, you may want to also investigate using the top mounting brackets which are packed in a separate envelope in the screen box. These extra brackets may or may not work in your installation.

Regards,

Don Stewart

post #3 of 9 Old 03-03-2001, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
after reading don stewart's reply, i am impressed at his response. not many companies would extend such service as i have just observed here. kudos to them.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2001, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Anytime people on this forum ask "Are Stewart screens worth the extra money" I will direct them to this post. Stewart simply has the best product, the best service, and best of all the owner of the company participates and educates many of us on this forum.

Folks, what else can you ask for? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif If you can't tell, I am a proud Stewart screen owner myself. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2001, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Don -

Thanks for your quick reply. I posted my message about 5 minutes after I discovered the problem and I should have waited a little while until I had thought things through.

You are correct that I did not receive "Shop Drawings" for my screen. I had some from a previous quote (non-reverse roll) which I used to determine mounting and ac power locations. My frustration was the result of the fact that I was aware that most "Reverse Roll" screens require that the housing be flipped 180 degrees. So when I ordered a reverse-roll I called another local dealer and the sales rep for my area if the case was flipped. Perhaps I didn't make it clear what I was asking because they both told me that the screen housing was the same as for a normal roll screen. I get the impression that "reverse-roll" is not a common request. I had another dealer tell me they had never heard of it from Stewart.

Amyway after all this I don't think I will be sending it back. I need the space behind the screen for some artwork so I am in the process of fliping the screen housing around. I spent the morning fabricating some 6" L-brackets that will mount to the wall and I will used the suspended installation described in the manual to hang the screen of the end of the L-brackets. Should be back in business in a couple of hours. An additional part of my frustration was that the painters had just painted the wall yesterday morning and that I was now going to have to move the AC. But then remembered that they are coming out in a week to do some touch-up so there will just be an additional touch-up area.

Anyway thanks again Don for your message and offer. I'm very impressed with both you and your company and I'm hoping that tonight I will be equally impressed with the screen when I watch a movie on it tonight. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks,
-- Craig
post #6 of 9 Old 03-03-2001, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I got the screen flipped (click here to see how I mounted it) and rolled it down and got my first look at the screen surface and found a black horizontal line 8" from the bottom of the screen. I haven't tried to clean it off yet.

I'm not happy with the mounting brackets as they are so I'm spending today rotaing them 90 degrees so they will have more strength. My wife has just started complaining about having to help take the screen off the wall and putting back up so I hope this is the last take. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I know I will need to take it down one more time for putting up the valance and possible for wiring the AC. After the 4 times it's been up and taken down I have decided to leave the batten locks on the back of the screen for a few days so I don't have to keep removing them and putting them back on.

UPDATE : I got the brackets rotated (see it here) and am pleased with the result. Will wire the AC tomorrow and then will just have the valance to go. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Craig Colvin (edited 03-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Craig Colvin (edited 03-04-2001).]
post #7 of 9 Old 03-05-2001, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Craig,
I apoligize if in our conversation for the screen there was some confusion about the reverse role. It sounds like the other dealers you talked to gave you some false information.
One possible solution to your bracket problem is to build a soffet around the case. Then you could mount the case to the back-side of the front part of the soffet. This would both clean up the look of the case as well as simplify the mounting for you. Please let me know if this is clear to you. Thanks again!!

------------------
Jason Turk
AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com
716-454-1460
post #8 of 9 Old 03-05-2001, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jason Turk:
Craig,
I apoligize if in our conversation for the screen there was some confusion about the reverse role. It sounds like the other dealers you talked to gave you some false information.
</font>
I don't recall it being you that gave me wrong information, I think by the time I talked to you I already had the mis-information. You did call me back saying that reverse roll was not recommended due to the screen being exposed and therefore more likely to be damaged.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One possible solution to your bracket problem is to build a soffet around the case. Then you could mount the case to the back-side of the front part of the soffet. This would both clean up the look of the case as well as simplify the mounting for you. </font>
That was my first thought when I found out it was reversed but I didn't want to spend the time building the soffet before I could use the screen (I'm not very patient when I have new toys http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif). I was also concerned about the combined weight of the screen and soffet on a 6"-8" moment arm. So I mounted the screen like this and will now built a soffet around it to make it look nice.

Thanks for your help Jason.

------------------
Craig
My Home Theater
post #9 of 9 Old 03-05-2001, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the update. You could probably use the same mounting you had now (for strength) and just build something around it for looks. That would work okay, just make sure you leave it accessible in the off chance that something happens.
Thanks again!

------------------
Jason Turk
AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com
716-454-1460

[This message has been edited by Jason Turk (edited 03-07-2001).]
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page