Da-Lite HP Screen - Less prone to show wrinkles? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-2001, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Da-Lite Video Spectra 1.5 gain Picture King screen, which is downward roll-up screen on a tripod - it is 80" by 45" (92" diagonal).
It was potentially a very good value for the money, except that it has one serious wrinkle and several minor waves, which lend shadow perception of the picture, and can be very distracting.

I am considering a Da-Lite High Power screen of similar size and suspension, since I have heard that it is far less prone to show shadows, even with a wrinkled screen (this according, in particular, to Bill Cushman).

Would be interested in hearing from anyone with experience with the Da-lite High Power, and particularly with wrinkles - do these show up in the picture? I expect that if I buy another Da-lite screen of a similar nature, it will also have wrinkles.

I am using a Sony VW10HT, mounted on a table, with the lens at the same level as the bottom of the screen. The viewing height would be a foot higher than the bottom of the screen, so the retroreflective nature of the screen would not be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2001, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, My Dad purchased a Dalite high power screen from www.cousinsvideo.com.
I don't see any wrinkles in the screen at all.
I was going to purchase a dalite matte white screen but I'm glad I did because I've heard about the wrinkles in the model b pull down.
I'm also glad that I didn't purchase the model b pull down matte white or high power screen because curtain blackout fabric is much cheaper.
I'm going the diy route!

------------------
My HT
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2001, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Have you considered a tensioned screen? I know it is a lot more money but it may be worth it. I recently received some samples of the Da-mat high contrast fabric. It really works well with the Sony projector by improving blacks like the Stewart Grayhawk. Cousins video is very quick and has awesome prices. I purchased a screen from them in the high contrast fabric on a tensioned cosmopolitan electric screen at a great price. The high contrast fabric is only available on tensioned screens. Contact Da-lite and get a sample. It has a gain of .80 though and may not work as well if you have a lot of ambient light.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-09-2001, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Dalite High power manual rolldown with a DILA and it absolutely does not show wrinkles.

I am very happy with it.
Closed Thread Screens