AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preferred Fabric For Masking

419 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Scott Gammans 
#1 ·
Hi there!

What's the inkiest, blackest, blacker than black, preferred fabric out there for this application? I'd like to cover two pieces of light 1/4" hardwood ply with some of this fabric and place them on the screen's top and bottom portions. The sides will be covered with curtains. Name of material and places to buy would be great.

Thanks,

Luca

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 03-14-2001).]

#2 ·
I used black felt bonded to masonite - similar to the plywood you plan to use. It seems to be effective and was low cost. In fact, the plywood will be somewhat sturdier, I suspect. Check my HT pics post at http://www3.sympatico.ca/john.mckenzie and my posting on masking details on 02 Feb 01: "One more time - my HT pics (Screen query)" Any questions, email me. All the best. John

#4 ·
In visual effects, when we shoot isolated elements on stage to composite into an FX shot, we have found that a particular fabric gives us a nice, deep non-reflective black background. Deep black is important to us because it is the most opaque part of the film, allowing us to pull clean mattes for compositing. Anyway, the fabric is called Black Velour and there are two kinds. The one we use is the one with red thread visible at the edges of the fabric. Don't use the Black Velour with the blue thread, it doesn't work as well. It can be found in Burbank at Dazian's (818) 841-6500 or in Hollywood at Fore Peak (323) 460-4192. When we shoot isolated fire or explosions on stage, this fabric really shows how well it absorbs reflective light.

-Allen

------------------

JVC - MPAA - Are you listening?

DFAST MUST DIE!

#6 ·
Which would be better, the masking that dalite uses or this black velour stuff.

The reason I ask is I am getting ready to order some cut-to-size material I can just have them mask it at the factory. If the velour stuff is a lot better then I will just mask it myself, thanks.

#7 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.