Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-22-2001, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi all,
I've been reading all the screen format(4:3/16:9) related topics here and they're very helpful. Right now I don't even have a projector but plan to get one soon. Perhap the LP350. I'll mainly use the projector for DVD watching, DSS directTV, PS2 and possible HDTV.
Here're my question:
1. For an 8' ceiling, 16'Wx20'L room, I'll be sitting about 16' from the screen and probably like to project to a 120" screen size, what is the Pros&Con of choosing 16:9 over 4:3 and vice versa with my room dimension? If 16:9 screen is suggested, what screen size I'll be actually looking at when viewing a 4:3 DSS channel?
2. Does any one here project the LP350 to a 120" size? If so, is the picture still good at 16' away?
3. How to achieve a 16:9 format from a 4:3 projector? How does the LP350 do that?
Thanks all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-22-2001, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">1. For an 8' ceiling, 16'Wx20'L room, I'll be sitting about 16' from the screen and probably like to project to a 120" screen size, what is the Pros&Con of choosing 16:9 over 4:3 and vice versa with my room dimension?</font>
This projector has native 4:3 panels which will work very well with a 4:3 screen. It really boils down to personal preference.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If 16:9 screen is suggested, what screen size I'll be actually looking at when viewing a 4:3 DSS channel?</font>
The 4:3 image will have the same height as the 16:9 screen, but the width will be 25% smaller.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3. How to achieve a 16:9 format from a 4:3 projector? How does the LP350 do that?</font>
You can achieve this one of two ways. First, you can use only the 16:9 middle portion of the 4:3 panel, but then you end up with unused pixels, which equates to lower light output and less resolution.

The second method is to use a video processor or HTPC to stretch a 16:9 image vertically to fill the entire 4:3 panel, then use an anamorphic lens in front of the projector's lens to squeeze the image back to a 16:9 shape. This method has the advantage of using all of the projector's 4:3 panel which will be much brighter with a higher resolution. Also, many of these digital projectors have rather lackluster internal scaling capabilities, so the use of an external video processor should yield a much better image.

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page