Formica DIY'ers: Which color did you use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2001, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about going this route and was curious which color you DIY'ers picked. I was thinking about Folkstone 927...

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
mail@scottgammans.com
The Scooterplex Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2001, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^^ shameless bump ^^^^

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
mail@scottgammans.com
The Scooterplex Cinema
Old 03-11-2001, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
I believe the formica I was originally going to use was just a mate white. I dont know the exact trade name but it was just completely flat and mate!

I have just found an easier idedea for a DIY screen. I just bouht a painters drop cloth from HOME DEPOT, there the only ones who have this material I check LOWES and HOME BASE. ONLY HOME DEPOT has a correct color canvas drop cloth which is made of the proper screen material. In faxt thi s drop cloth has enough material for 2 100" screens. It is heavy duty canvas with a cool as hell sealed mate white finish that is smoother then some brand name fixed fram screens. I just set up my SONY CRT at 100" and it looks awsome. I just ran a vcr into it and with out any video processing it looked as good as or better then a display at a competitor of mine using a DWIN HD700 w/ TRANSCANNER.

The sealed canvas cost $20.00 and it is cheeper then th eformica and it would be way less work to construct a frame and staple the material on it then it would be to laminate th eformica to somthing solid + the screen would be much lighter to hang on the wall!

Let me know if any one need more info on it ............E MAIL me directly and I'll be glad to give advise..........VRAUDIO@AOL.COM
Old 03-11-2001, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

What color is the drop cloth? The only ones at my local Home Depot are matte white. I was hoping for a shade of gray.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
Old 03-11-2001, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
VR:

Can you please provide more info on the drop cloth. Is there a brand or a Home Depot SKU number, etc.? Are there any seams? What's the price?

Thanks for sharing!

Regards
BB80301
Old 03-11-2001, 05:15 PM

There is a lot of interes in this "drop cloth" screen............COOL

Lets just call it the DROP SCREEN..............LOL

well lets see I trashed the package, I didnt think much of it but It comes in a clear POLY BAG with BLUE LETTERING.

It is a double backed sealed canvas so spilled paint wont soak into to the floor its protecting, but that wont happen since were all gonna use it as a screen any way!

The price is 18.97 and the squew # is 04710000709063

It is 12' X 9' and there is an unfortunate seem in the middle BUT.......

You can open the stitching or cut the seem open and get enough material to make 2 100" 4:3 screens with nice clean edges all around the image area.

You can make a biger screen if using a differant aspect ratio then 4:3

The back of the canvas cloth has some, what looks like bleech streeks and some smudges, It almost looks like it has been used but it not.

Now, the "image" side is totally flat and smooth MATE WHITE. It looks to rival some of the best projection screens on the market.

What I did was to un pack it and cut my seem, then roll the material as to get some of the creases from setting in, I am sure once I build a black frame and strech the material on it tight I can subtlily use an iron and get it 100% flat.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found suitable grey material? White seems to really kill any hopes of seeing black on the screen http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
We have to belive in free will. We have no choice.

[This message has been edited by RandyL712 (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

If I remember right Wilsonart had a gray that seemed like it would work. I gave up on the whole laminate thing when I realized that 60 inches was the max height. and the drop cloths have a seam in them. I found a place on the web that said I could get a tight Muslin, and difrent material www.chicagodrop.com

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget

[This message has been edited by bwolff (edited 03-13-2001).]

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater
Champagne tastes with a beer budget
Old 03-13-2001, 04:47 PM

Hello Hello Hello...........

I have new info on the "drop screen" A HOME DEPOT drop cloth posted info on th eabove screen technique I am using.

I was informed by JAMES MUDLER that the canvas may also be a brown color on the back but still have the awsome white "screen side".

The HOME DEPOT squew number for the brown is 047034681010 and is 19.94 before tax. So you may actually be looking for this one instead of the grey one in your area depending on what the HOMEY D is stocking where you live..

Hope this helps all you DIYers out there I am getting a lot of praise for this idea so I am doing my best to share it with al of you!

Thanks again all of you for your great input and help

This is a great place for all of us to share our ideas and help eachothers theaters ROCK THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Victor....VR AUDIO SYSTEMS
Old 03-14-2001, 02:00 PM

If your having a hard time finding the drop cloth, visit homedepot's online store and search for sku number 919608

Its got a different UPC code than what I used, but I looks and reads exactly the same. I also see on their web page that they have a 12x15' cloth. Has anyone used this yet??? What about seams?

Scott
Old 03-14-2001, 04:46 PM

I was informed by JAMES MUDLER that the cloths with the brown are not the correct one we are talking about SORRY!!!!!

He says they are mixed with the white suface and so everyone interested in this screen idea please DISREGAURD the last info I posted on the "DROP SCREEN"

Again you should be looking for the grey backed canvas drop cloth with the mate whit surface HOME DEPOT SQUEW # 076063824006

The other thing you can try might be what SSTIEFERMAN is talking about and that is checking out the HOMMY D web site!!
Old 03-15-2001, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update...

I had to give up on the idea of a laminate-based screen, but for a different reason: The door to the stairs leading up to my attic home theater is a standard 6'-8" tall, with the stairs starting immediately inside the door threshold and going upward at a 45° angle. Guess what--a 54" x 90" rigid frame won't fit through the @#$%! doorway! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif I had a feeling that would be a problem... I'm sure glad I tested it with a Visio computer model before I paid a local framing shop $400 to build me a laminated frame!

As it turns out, I built a blackout curtain material screen that was a lot cheaper than the laminate solution. Yeah, it's not gray, but I'm probably going to upgrade to a real screen someday, so for now I am very happy with my el-cheapo Home Depot/JoAnn Fabrics solution!

By the way, I will soon post plans and the steps involved of how I built my screen on my website, for those of you who think a DIY project is too difficult. Not only was it ridiculously easy, I had fun doing it and I now get an inestimable feeling of satisfaction every time I fire up the projector, because I know that I built that screen!

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner--except for the remote ;)
mail@scottgammans.com
The Scooterplex Cinema 1 Project X
Old 03-15-2001, 11:10 AM

Thanks Victor for the info/updates. I got my password, so I can join in. My wife is ready to shoot me. Deano ask you local HD if I get you the sku and/or six digit item number whould that help? My 9x12 cloth gave me (2) 62" by 11'9" long. The packaging is white and blue and wrapped in a clear package. It's the most expensive (really cheap for a screen) drop cloth they sell per size. The one I got was in the same box as brown colored ones. I had to dig to find a white one. If you see the burlap looking ones pull the box out and dig a white should be in there.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:47 PM

I have read a lot about the Grayhawk. Can someone please post a picture of one so I can get an idea of how gray it is? I was not able to find a picture of one on Stewart's site.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 03-15-2001, 04:13 PM

Deano,

The seams must not be the same on each cloth. They must be within a inch or two. I was happy because I have (3) 60x80 Draper frames and not I do not have to cut them down. I am going to make three screens to experiment. One untouched, one painted white, and one gray. The exact mesurements are 61 and 60.5. I can stretch the another .5-1 inch easily.

James
Old 03-16-2001, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Robin,

I'm not surprised that you are experiencing rippling and waves in your screen. The only way to guarantee that a laminate like Formica will lie perfectly flat and smooth is to bond it to its substrate (backing) with the same contact cement that is used for cementing kitchen countertops. (After all, you are essentially building a vertical countertop.)

Since you probably don't want to glue the Formica directly to your wall (I'm not sure that would even work), you're going to need to bond the sheet to something else, such as medium density fiberboard (don't use plywood; according to Formica Corporation it's not suitable for this application). AND... since at the screen size you have the MDF itself could warp and bend, you're going to need to construct a rigid frame onto which the MDF should be attached. 1" x 3" pine should do the trick, as long as you properly cross-brace it.

By the way, regarding painting your wall an even brighter white than you already have: It seems to me that you would want to go the opposite direction, and use a darker color to neutralize light reflections. I have light-yellow-tinted walls and ceiling in my home theater as well as beige carpeting, and I get all kinds of diffuse light bouncing onto my screen from these surfaces. I'm getting ready to repaint and replace the carpet with something dark. Just a thought...

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner--except for the remote ;)
mail@scottgammans.com
Old 03-16-2001, 02:48 PM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VR Audio Systems:
I was informed by JAMES MUDLER that the cloths with the brown are not the correct one we are talking about SORRY!!!!!

He says they are mixed with the white suface and so everyone interested in this screen idea please DISREGAURD the last info I posted on the "DROP SCREEN"

Again you should be looking for the grey backed canvas drop cloth with the mate whit surface HOME DEPOT SQUEW # 076063824006

The other thing you can try might be what SSTIEFERMAN is talking about and that is checking out the HOMMY D web site!!
</font>
I just got back from Home Depot and while the sku's do not match the description does. It is matte white with gray backing, made by ace in the Bronx NY. I am a bit hesitant to open it because it does not have blue lettering/packaging.

------------------
System info: Native XGA LCD FP, Dalite 57X77 HP, P3 700, ATI Radeon, Cinemaster 2k, WinDVD 2.6.4, WinME
Old 03-16-2001, 04:33 PM

I hope we are all looking at the same thing. I am going by HD in the morning. I will get everything for the one I got. Victor, what texture is the cloth you picked up? Is it the same on both sides? Mine is a very tight weave and white. No plastic feel/look. White on one side and off white on the other (my eyes are not so good).
Old 03-17-2001, 05:46 AM
DRS
AVS Special Member

Man this sure is frustrating! I drove to 3 different Home Depots in my are and called another 3 and they do not have this product. They have the step down from it but not this one :-( I am tempted to go in with a printout of their web page to see if they can order it. Bummer I was hoping to have this thing under wraps by Sunday.

------------------
System info: Native XGA LCD FP, Dalite 57X77 HP, P3 700, ATI Radeon, Cinemaster 2k, WinDVD 2.6.4, WinME
Old 03-17-2001, 06:42 AM
DRS
AVS Special Member

After realizing that I am not going to find this drop cloth I checked out the cousins video website and decided that I am just going to cutom order some matte white screen material. It definitely is not as cheap but $3 a square ft is not bad either.

------------------
Old 03-17-2001, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Robin:

Thank you very much for your comments! As you can tell I have way too much spare time on my hands, but I do software and web development for a living so my website helps me keep my skills sharp.

And yes, I would rather eat gagh than add the first, fifth and ninth movies to my Trek-ollection. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Scott Gammans
Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner--except for the remote http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif
mail@scottgammans.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 03-17-2001).]
Old 03-17-2001, 10:32 PM

MUDMAN............

My drop cloth is some what GREAY on the back with "dirty" streaks and smudges.

The "finished" side the "screen" side is totally flat with NO fabric like lines or ripples. It has a beautifull mate white finish that is better them some "real" screens I have seen.

Man I can believe this drop cloth is so hard to get in other parts of the country. Mabey I should start prebuilding screens and selling them on my audio companies website???

I hpoe this help you out MUDMAN ....Sorry if you to cant find one where your at I guess I am lucky!!
Old 03-18-2001, 06:38 AM

I think we are looking at different things. The one I picked up is made by Foremost mfg. It also as a Turpro name. The item number is 68101 and sku is 047034681010. It has a blue/purpl writing. Victor I think we have different things. Oh well. I try try some gray paints and experiement.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:44 PM

Well I went adhead and mounted it anyway. I have a 63x83 screen now. It looks good, but I am going to paint. With all the streching I can see the frame. I stained the other piece. I stepped on it. I use it for something. I may just order a 2.0 gain anyway. You never know. I am going to check the HD in FL where my mom lives, before I quit.
Old 03-23-2001, 08:28 AM

VR,

I'm a little confused. Your post of 3/11/01 says that the SKU number we should be looking for is 04710000709063. Disregarding the brief mistake regarding the brown dropcloth, you later say in your 3/14/01 post that the SKU number we should be looking for is 076063824006.

Which of these is the correct SKU number for the gray-backed matte white "DROP SCREEN"?

And, THANKS for the great tip!