Can I paint regular screen material? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2001, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Da-lit fastfold with 1.3 gain material that I want to try painting gray. I have one frame but two screen materials. If I paint one will I be able to remove it and roll it back onto its core and store it in its box without having to worry about the paint cracking or whatever. I want to experiment but I do not want to wreck a good screen to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2001, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

In my own opion NO. It will crack. Probably when you unroll it. Once you paint that screen you no longer have a screen with a 1.3 gain. You have a piece of material with paint on it. I use a homemade screen. A gray screen to boot. I love it. My question is why waste a good screen? There are people out there that could use alittle gain. Sell it and buy some material. That is my $.02.

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater
Champagne tastes with a beer budget

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Champagne tastes with a beer budget
post #3 of 7 Old 03-30-2001, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Bwolff that is not what I wanted to hear but it is what I expected. The reason behind not just making a home made was that I already have the frame mounted and am planning on putting blue rope light with a variable power knob behind the screen but still attached to the frame. If I could just pop the screen off the frame when I wanted and use the push button snaps that hold the screen to the frame it would be a lot easier.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2001, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Doug, it looks like the only way we will really know is to try it ourselves. I think I will try this on a scrap piece of blackout material and let it dry and roll it carefully on to the 4" core which I will be using for storage. I am quite busy at the moment so it might not be for awhile but I will try. If you do this first please post your findings.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2001, 10:17 AM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My paint will be ready soon. It is cabable of being folded, and/or rolled and unrolled repeatedly, thousands of times. The paint, on it's own, has a 300% break point on stretching. Beat that with a stick. In this case, you literally can. A dirty stick too boot. the paint will slowly 'bounce back' and return to it's original shape, and it can be washed as well.

------------------
goosystems.com

Ken Hotte
kbk@cyberfreak.dhs.org

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2001, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

KBK. Any idea how long soon is. I have been waiting to get my hands on your pain (for Dila ) for a long time and I don't see any sense in going any farther myself if your stuff will be coming out soon.
PS: I have been to Kingston on a Saturday night and I couldn't find anything wild about it. later
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2001, 09:59 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to contemplate painting my brand new Da-lite roll up screen. I can't wait to hear your guys' results. :-)

Ken - what paint are you talking about? Standard latex or something you found/created?

Everybody - I am quite disappointed with the number of ripples on my screen. I originally thought that the idea of a "tensioned" screen was over the top, now I feel like it's the biggest flaw in my theater. Has anybody figured out a good way to "pull" the ripples out? (Yes I have to have a roll up screen, because I have a "small" 62 inch TV behind my 130" pulldown screen, oh and some windows.)

Jeremy

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page