How low can my screen be?... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2001, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am considering a switch to an electrical screen, but this will take away an extra 6-7 inches to the height of my screen (100"x54", 1.85:1 @ 14ft viewing distance) which is right now at about 31 inches off the floor. Is 20-23" of the floor high enough for my viewing enjoyment?... I can't quite picture it and I have to order without prior experimentation... Any feedback would be appreciate it.

Thanks.

------------------
Joshua

Joshua
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-10-2001, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Joshua,

Someone else asked about this here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000135.html .

Can you not just lower your current screen temporarily? Or perhaps just adjust the projector (even if off the bottom) to get a feel for viewability and possible projector issues (keystoning).

[This message has been edited by Mark Lopez (edited 04-10-2001).]
post #3 of 5 Old 04-10-2001, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Mark.

My current screen is still in the box and is a on-wall screen. And the projector is not yet installed. So either way, I cannot experiment. This is based on last minute changes in my HT set-up (new speaker array, with an "audiophile" emphasis< so I want the screen to disappear and the cabinetry that was designed to hold a fixed screen to go as well).

I had been wondering if there was a formula to determine minimum screen height from a certain viewing distance, at a normal seating level -knowing that everybody's different, etc. Looks like the 24 to 36" high is possible in my case. I will, however, go through measuring
cnetre of screen vs position of eyes when seated to see if it works out...

Thanks again.

------------------
Joshua

[This message has been edited by Joshua (edited 04-10-2001).]

Joshua
post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2001, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joshua:
My current screen is still in the box and is a on-wall screen. And the projector is not yet installed. </font>
Yeah, I guess that would make it difficult. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Maybe you can fashion a temporary screen out of a sheet or something just to get a feel for how much head bending will be involved from your seating position.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2001, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

You're right, Mark... I've just been pretty busy theses days and was looking to maximize my HT-allocated free time to find the best solutions with the least effort! (thanks to you, Mark, and the forum http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

The thread was helpful... These are excitng last minute changes I am going through (new speakers, upgraded audio set-up, hence I want the screen to disappear and the speakers to take over when not watching a movie), but I am still trying to minimize additional (I'm already way over budget) expenses...

Thanks

------------------
Joshua

Joshua
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page