Poll: Switch from Draper to Stewart? Was it worth it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
BL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about moving from a 106" Draper M2500 1.78 to 1 screen to a Stewart. I have a Sony 1272Q with 7" CRT's. If you are a former Draper owner who has switched to Stewart, I am interested in hearing how it worked out. Are you happy with the switch? Did you change the size of the screen? What gain did you choose and did you get enough brightness? Would you push more for 1.8 or 2.0 gain?

Any information you can give would be appreciated.

------------------
Bill

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 02:59 PM

I was also thinking I have a Draper M1300 108" dia screen with a Sony 10HT. Anyone's opinion on this would be a great help.

Joseph
post #3 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

I did exactly what your asking about. I had been using for the past two years a Draper 110" M2500 (2.3 gain) 1.85:1 screen with a NEC 7" CRT projector. The throw distance was ~12 feet.

Just recently I switched to a Stewart 92" Studiotek 130 (1.3 gain) 1.78:1 screen. The projector's new throw distance is now ~10 feet. The shorter throw distance allows a much brighter and sharper picture, and let's the projector run at a more optimal setting.

The difference between the two screens is very significant and part of that is do to the smaller more appropriate screen size. The Studiotek 130 material has near perfect white field uniformity across the entire screen and makes for a much more enjoyable image. Also, my screen uses the 3.25" black border that is wraped in the optional VeLux material. This aids tremendously in the perceived contrast of the image against the screen's borders.

If I have learned anything from switching screens, it would be the following:
  • Stay well under 100" diagonal with a 7" CRT.
  • Use a low gain (1.5 or lower, preferrably Studiotek 130).
  • Make sure to get the Deluxe 3.25" screen borders w/VeLux option added.

If anyone reading this is buying a screen for the first time, please consider looking into getting a Stewart screen. In the case of screens, you do get what you pay for, and Stewart is simply the best screen, IMHO!

BTW, here's a pic of my screen. For reference of size, my front wall is 12'wide x 8'tall...

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at.../178screen.jpg

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Dman:

Your post is interesting, but the problem I have with it is that it involves too many changed variables. You changed the screen material AND the screen size AND the throw distance AND the design of the screen borders, so it's difficult to make a valid comparison.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

RobertR,

IMHO=In my humble opinion. I understand that many variables changed when I switched from a Draper to a Stewart screen, but I stated these are my observations and opinions only. I did not do much research before I bought my first screen (the Draper M2500), but I still think it's the best high gain screen material I have seen. But I did some very lengthy research and demoing before going with a Stewart screen and I still stand by my review.

Whether you consider my comparison "valid" or not, my situation was virtually identical to what Bill asked at the beginning of the post.

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
post #6 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
BL

DMan:

You have certainly given me some food for thought. I have been struggling with the idea of switching to 1.8 to 2.0 gain and going down to 100" diagonal or maybe a little less, and you have taken it a couple of steps further!

One limitation I have is that my ceiling mount does not permit a lot of forward movement. I am currently at approximately 138" out. I will check pjcalc, but I am assuming that I will run into limitations regarding how much smaller of a screen I can work with in terms of vertical height. I will have to calculate how much of a screen size reduction I can make while keeping the projector in the same position.

I am particularly interested in your statement that you get a brighter picture despite the drop in gain, because of the screen size and the positioning of your projector. Did you find that you had to increase any of the contrast/brightness settings on the projector, or did you keep them pretty much the same?

Finally, did you notice any issues with the smaller size in terms of how movie-like the image is? I have to admit that I like the size I have now, and I wonder whether it will seem less theater-like if I reduce the image size substantially.

Thanks.

------------------
Bill

Bill
post #7 of 7 Old 04-11-2001, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

A couple more points that may help answer some of your questions. If you go with a smaller screen, you will really want to move the projector closer so you will stay at the proper throw distance for the given screen width.

I am actually able to lower my brightness and contrast with this setup because of the projector's shorter throw distance. You would be amazed how much brighter a CRT FPTV can be when you move it almost two feet closer to the screen. If you want a quick demo, take a flashlight and aim it at blank wall. Now move the flashlight towards that wall while. Notice how much brighter and more intensive the light hitting the wall becomes? Same principal here.

And your last concern was my biggest concern as well. Would the screen seem to small. Honestly, my old Draper screen was taken down and sold and I was without a screen for almost a month before putting up the new Stewart screen. Perhaps the downtime made the transition easier, but the brighter, sharper image really make the viewing more enjoyable and very "theater-like".

Also, one more point to make about my Stewart versus my Draper. My old screen was sized at 96"x52" (1.85:1). But Draper meausures to the outside of their screens, so with the 2" black leather border it had an actual image area of 92"x48" (1.92:1). Well, with Stewart they measure their screens by the actual image area. So my new 80"x45" (1.78:1) screen has an actual image area of 80"x45". So I really only lost three inches in height and six inches off of each side, which equates to an 18% decrease in image area.

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page