LCD projector and grey screens, feedback wanted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-2001, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased some new screen material which is the Dalite high contrast Da-mat GRAY screen material. Previously, i had (still have) a Dalite model b screen. I have heard many good things about the grey screens particularly with LCD/Dila projectors so i am jumping on the bandwagon. In my case i have a Mitsubishi x70 and the black level is on par with practically any other LCD unit but i am anxious to hear the results from actual users of the grey screens. Would you categorise the improvments as subtle, good or dramatic in the areas of colour rendition, contrast ratio, black level, etc....when mated to an LCD projector. I also plan on masking the entire front wall for esthetics and the further improvment of black level perception. I am hoping to rival a good CRT projector in terms of blacks or come close to it. Every other aspect in terms of picture quality when properly calibrated using Avia should render a very good front projector set up. Are my expectations too high?

------------------
power

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2001, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hi. I recently posted a question regarding screen material. I also have an LCD projector (ceiling mounted) and I'm trying to figure out which screen to use. I'd like to use a gray screen, but I don't know of any that provides any gain. I didn't know that Da-Lite made any gray screens. Their website describes the Da-Mat as white, with a gain of 1.1. Do you have any more info on the screen you're referencing, because I'd like to consider it.
Everything I've read indicate gray screens provide a substantial benefit for LCD projectors. I have the front of my room completely masked as well and it makes a big difference in the image quality -- looks cool too. The line doubler and scaler built into my projector is pretty good, and it will properly display anamorphic DVD's. However, I just purchased the Quadscan Pro form AVScience and it has really stepped up the image quality quite a bit. Highly recommended. I don't think your expectations are too high regarding image quality.

Steve
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2001, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hey ssj2,

the dalite grey screen material has a gain of approx. 0.8 and is designed for LCD projectors with high light output >1000 ANSI lumens. My projector puts out 1100 lumens therefore in theory this should be the best solution for me to obtain the best possible picture out of my current set-up. My set up with a DTC 100 and HTPC should now give a good CRT a run for it's money, at least i expect these kinds of results. If you have any info on how you did your masking, let me know. Saw a few posts regarding this but i am looking a using pulleys with a stop on them for lifting/lowering the upper and lower masking.

------------------
power

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2001, 10:20 AM

Can someone give me an idea of the pricing on the Da-Lite grey screens?
Having a hard time finding $2k for a Stewart- are the Da-Lites any cheaper?

dg
post #5 of 7 Old 04-12-2001, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I purchased a 80 by 45 inche 16:9 format Tensioned Cosmopolitian Electrol with 4 feet of drop and the Da-lite high contrast fabric for 1528.00 delivered from Cousinsvideo.com. The screen was 1478.00 with the standard 12 inches of drop delivered. You can buy a fixed screen with the high contrast in that size for less than 500.00 delivered. I purchased my screen in advance since I am doing some remodeling. I am shopping for a projector now. Before I purchased the screen, I auditioned a Sony 10ht with a sample of this fabric. It worked very well. If I had a LCD with 1000 lumens or greater, I would not use anything but a gray screen. The blacks are a hell of a lot better. Da-lite has added the high contrast information to their site. The high contrast is only availible with tensioned or wall mounted screens.

------------------
Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2001, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ssj2:
I'd like to use a gray screen, but I don't know of any that provides any gain. I didn't know that Da-Lite made any gray screens. Their website describes the Da-Mat as white, with a gain of 1.1. Do you have any more info on the screen you're referencing, because I'd like to consider it.</font>
"Da-Mat HC" (grey) is not "Da-Mat" (white). "Da-Mat HC" gain is 0.8, "Da-Mat" gain is 1.1.
SuperWonderLite is grey with a high gain, but this fabric isn't available wider than 70".

Stewart makes a high gain silver screen, but seems to be too fragile.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Would you categorise the improvments as subtle, good or dramatic in the areas of colour rendition, contrast ratio, black level, etc....when mated to an LCD projector.
Quote:
</font>
I have the VW10HT ("cinema black" on) with a Stewart Grayhawk.
Dark room:
colour rendition, subtle
contrast ratio, subtle
black level, somewhere between good and dramatic, but the overall picture is dimmed which might be annoying with some movies.
Lightened room:
colour rendition, dramatic
contrast ratio, dramatic
black level, same as before.

Carlos
post #7 of 7 Old 04-13-2001, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the repies,

the cheapest grey screen Dalite makes is the perm wall which is a fixed screen 16:9 52x92 that comes with an aluminum frame, retail $585. I myself am constructing my own frame and i just bought the screen itself, retail $480 ($100 less), of course i payed a much cheaper price. Better than the $1500+ stewart screen in terms of price and i highly doubt there is any difference in picture quality. Mine will be in next week,i don't think this grey screen will let me down. However, the model b did not work well with my LCD projector, hence the new grey screen http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
power

Serge Breton
htauthority.com
Home Theater Authority
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page