Stewart screen mounting question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2001, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need to mount a Stewart GreyHawk screen (96" x 54") in front of a window, but the holes in the top of the wood mounting brackets (which are about 10" from the top of the bracket) will not be high enough if I mount the screen at the level I want to mount it. In other words, they don't clear the window, and they would only do so if I raise the position of the screen about 4 inches. Is there any reason I can't simply drill a new hole in the top of the bracket about 6" from the top of each bracket to make a new mounting hole? It seems to me this would be fine, but I wondered if anyone could think of a reason I shouldn't do this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-14-2001, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
I almost had to do this too (but didn't, in the end) and didn't find a reason why not... someone else might be more qualified to answer that though.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-14-2001, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
On Monday I mounted my 96X54 luxus deluxe grayhawk. moving the mount holes a few inches should not change the screen properties. The force is being transferred to the vertical mounting brackets to carry the weight of the screen It should not make a difference where the mounting holes are at as long as you can adequately transfer the downward force from the mounting bracket to the wall via the method you anchor them to the wall. We are only talking about ~45 lbs, spread across 3 load barring structures e.g. 15 lbs on each structure. Each structure is distributing that load across 2 mount points e.g. 7.5 lbs of load at each mount point. On a side note my holes were 8" from the top of the bracket.

Regards,

Brian
Brian
post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2001, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, for the help, guys. I went ahead and tried it and it worked fine. It turns out I managed to hit 5 studs out of 6 mounting holes, so if we have a really bad earthquake, the house might come down, but the screen will still be standing.
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page