DIY (curved) screen with Stewart Video Matte fabric - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-04-2001, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have been using my NEC GP-3000 (actually a GE 414E) on a 45" x 80" 16:9 matte white screen for a while, which is OK, but I would really like a higher gain screen.

Now I have bought an old 92" x 126" Stewart Video Matte 200 (actually the label says VM 2000) screen (which is way too big for my room). The screen is mounted on a aluminum frame with some "snap locks".

I'm planning to build my new screen 45" x 96". This would give me a 45" x 80" 16:9 picture as before but would allow a 41" x 96" 2.35:1 picture.

I will of course build a new frame for this, but how do I attach the cut down screen material to this frame?

Right now the edge of the screen material is reinforced (sp?) with some kind of strong fabric. I was planning on some sort of "wrap-around" and binding as Stewart shows here:

http://www.stewartfilm.com/product_i...creens_15.html

BUT: Would I not need to reinforce the edge of the screen fabric, before "punching" holes?

Is there an alternate way to attach the screen material?

2nd Q: I have read some posts here about the benefits of using curved screens - especially for higher gain material. I was planning on a horizontal curve only with a radius around twice the throw distance. Will this give me the benefits of a curved screen?

BTW: the room is quite small: 12'x16'x7', which means I will only have 4' from screen-edge to the sidewalls. I plan on using velour or velvet curtains for masking.

------------------
Kristian Moeller

Kristian Moeller
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page