Throw distance too long? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Throw distance too long?

Hi,

My projection system is in our living (great) room. Current setup has the projector (1080p) in the middle of the room, 14 feet from the 120 inch diagonal screen. Works fine except the projector is in the middle of the room. 20 foot high vaulted ceiling prevents hanging it from the ceiling.

I moved the projector to the back wall which increases the throw distance to 26 feet. The picture fits on the 14 foot wide wall where my current screen is located. We will sit about 12 feet back from the screen. I'm willing to buy a new and larger screen.

Before I go down this road, what is the disadvantage of such a long throw distance?

Thanks!

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Having the projector further back in its zoom range will give better contrast, sharpness and screen uniformity but you trade off brightness. Depending on the projector and its lens some projectors lose 40% brightness from their closest position to it furthest. How much you lose will depend where you projector is placed within its zoom range. I like placing projectors further back if it is bright enough. The brightness difference will be more noticeable than the other attributes.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post

Before I go down this road, what is the disadvantage of such a long throw distance?
>
If you're increasing the screen size from 10' to 16' diagonal (14' wide), and zooming out the lens at the same time, you may end up getting only 1/4 to 1/3 of the previous screen brightness.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 04-23-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement