Screen Paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2001, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put a "budget" Home theater system in a few months ago. I have a Boxlight CD-455m, a Yamaha RX-V520 and Definitive In-Wall speakers (Front, Rear and Surround). I'm using my wall as a screen right now. I had a friend bring a screen over, and did not see a huge improvement. Anyway, I'm trying to make my system not noticable when not in use, so I like the idea of using the wall anyway. I'm wondering if there is a good paint I can use on the wall to improve the picture, without making it too noticable. Otherwise, maybe I can paint the screen area, and make it look like a huge picture frame when not is use?

Any ideas?

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2001, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Take a look at KBK's screen paint at www.goosystems.com

------------------
The MPAA will not win this one!
Stop DVI/HDCP, PHILA and 5C- hack and mod to your heart's content!

A woman is weeping over shadows on a screen, a man gets excited over ink on a page, a child is frightened over words in a book-
The mind gets caught up in the unreal and people become identified with it. But its power is such that it rules the world.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-26-2001, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Do a search there is a ton of info on paint. Most people agree that gray helps LCD DLP. I have a Mitsubishi vl2000 and I played with different shades of gray. My entire screen wall is gray. I used a satin finish. I found that semi-gloss is too much and flat not enough for my setup. If you leave the screen wall gray it should look all right. The Gray that I came up with is not very dark. It is about the color of drywall.

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater
Champagne tastes with a beer budget

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2001, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

What about a frame? Does the grey help to eliminate the edge effect?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2001, 03:32 PM

I have a white wall in my basement theater that is pine paneled white. The grooves needed to be covered, so I purchased a piece of cabinet grade 4x8 plywood and painted it with a medium nap roller using a paint I read about elsewhere called Sherwin Williams Luminous White. I used flat and bought it directly from a Sherwin Williams outlet. Others have said the gain is .97 with this paint. After about 5 coats, which were necessary to get rid of the grain, the picture looks great to my eyes. If you are looking for a stealth install, the plywood painted corner to corner, blends right in. I mounted it with angle iron that are not visible.

------------------
My Setup:
Dish 500 Sat, Denon 2800 DVD, Denon 3801 Receiver, DVDO iScan doubler, Sharp NotesVision5 XGA/LCD projector

My Setup:
Dish 500 Sat, Denon 2800 DVD, Denon 3801 Receiver, DVDO iScan doubler, Sharp NotesVision5 XGA/LCD projector
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2001, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

The gray helps with the black. LCD and DLP need a little help there. It also helps in the color arena too, I feel. makes colors bolder and a little more vivid. The trick is not to over do it. It dosn't help in the edge effect if I get what you mean by that. Masking would be the only thing that would do that. You could make a pull down masking to help with that. When the theater is not used it is up out of the way.

------------------
~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater

~~~~~~~~Bwolff~~~~~~~~
My Theater
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page