Why not a silver screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2001, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Silver screens are great used in the right application. They can give you very high gain to enable you to use a larger screen.

In a floor mounted projector you would want to tilt the top of a silver screen back towards you to use the gain of the screen instead of reflecting the increase in availble light at the ceiling.

To over come the hot spotting curve the screen in the horizontal.

I painted my screen with a oil based silver paint which worked to give me a gain of 2.5.

The problem with DIY silver screens is getting a uniform finish. Other wise the image and colors look great.

Deron

------------------
Surfs Up!

CRT Videophile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-29-2001, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The fact that traditionally silver screens were used makes me wonder if they really could be an option were it not for the hotspotting issue. My projector is mounted on the floor, so in my mind with a silver screen there is no problem with hotspotting because the angle of incidence is such that to see the hotspots of the tubes I'd have to be standing on my couch - correct? Anyway if this is the case what do people think of the character or quality of the image produced by a silver screen. Any issues here?

I have been experimenting with making my own paint lately with artist's acrylic binder and magnesium carbonate. I am going to paint the back of the screen with silver to reflect any light that gets through the slightly translucent MgCO3 and canvas screen so that it goes back out to the viewer. Because I will use silver anyway on the back of my screen I'll probably try to project onto this as a first surface too as an experiment. I was wondering if anyone else has had experiences with silver surfaces.

I'm assuming that there is a good reason why the silver is not generally used except in curved screens. Is it because in most applications there would be hotspotting issues, or are there others?

Thanks, Colin

[This message has been edited by Colin (edited 06-29-2001).]
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page