Help needed with screen dimensioning/design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2001, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to projectors and could use some guidance here. I am trying to figure out what size screen is best for me based upon the following info:

I sit with my head no more than 9-10 ft away from the screen. I have 52 in. available in height for the screen, with masking (butting against ceiling).

I plan on watching 3/4 DVDs and 1/4 TV (with HDTV on the horizon). Half of my DVDs are 2.35:1 while the other are Enhanced for 16x9 (whatever the hell that number is).

Room can be pitch black if I want it to be. ECP-3500 crt projector is mounted from ceiling throwing onto a fixed screen. Plan on using an HTPC for scaling DVDs, NTSC, and receiving HDTV later.

So my question is, how do you handle the different heights/lengths for the different Ratios, and what sounds best for my situation?

In addition, I am planning on making the screen, with a shadowbox design. Shadowbox wood frame wrapped in Velour Black material(stapeled). Then a 2x4 screen/mounting frame that the screen material(?) is wrapped around the corners of and stapeled to. Then the Shadowbox frame goes over the screen/screen frame (frames overlap) and is screwed together from the backside. Total sructure would then be mounted to the studs of the wall.

I am currently looking in another thread for some good screen material, but any advice offered here would be a great welcome. Any advice on the construction; frame, design, masking width, shadow depth, would help a lot to!

Thanks for reading all of this. Like I said, this is all new to me so I appreciate any ideas/advice given. Thanks and have a good one!!

Jason
"If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough."

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2001, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Enhanced for 16x9 has nothing to do with the aspect ratio of the movie, but rather indicates that the DVD is anamorphic. You will likely want to use a 16:9 screen since it will allow 1.85:1 DVDs to virtually fill up the entire 16:9 screen. BTW, 16:9= 1.78:1.

To help further understand anamorphic DVDs versus non-anamorphic DVDs, you can check out the excellent Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater
Old 07-08-2001, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dman,

I decided to go with a 16x9 screen. Also, thanks for the links, I did not know that enhanced for 16x9 was an anamorphic dvd. I always thought anamorphic DVDs were the same ratio as that originaly shown in the theater. Take it easy and thanks for your help!!

Jason

Jason