Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2001, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everybody,

Please help me decide on the screen for my projector. I am hesitating between Da-Lite Pearlescent 1.5 Gain and Draper M2500 2.1 Gain. The projector is going on the ceiling. I am getting motorized tensioned screen, video format, 100 to 120 inches. I will have control over the lightning, but it will not be pitch dark. I am leaning towards the Draper for the improved blacks, but the hotspotting might be a problem. The unit will be used as a computer monitor 90% of the time for HTPC and games, 10% for HDTV. Also, does anybody know a place I can get a good deal on a Draper screen? Any feedback from owners would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2001, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, now I am totally confused. I got samples of Draper M1300, M2500, Da-Lite Video Spectra 1.5, and Pearlescent 1.5. After a week of testing, I discovered that the gain of the pearlscent is actually lower than the M1300. I am trying to decide between M1300 and M2500. I really liked the colors on the M2500.How bad is the hotspotting on it? I cannot tell, because my projector is on the floor right now.

Thanks
Chris
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2001, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Chris,
The 1208 is a great CRT. Why not go for the best. Stewart Studiotek 130 material (1.3 gain). I know it costs a little more but its awesome.
Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2001, 08:39 AM

Chris,
Given the fact that you will have some ambient light in the room, I would recommend you consider the M2500 material. The increased gain and enhanced color contrast should give you a dynamic video reproduction. Given the output of the projector, hotspotting should not be an issue.

------------------
Bob Hadsell
Home Theatre Sales Manager
DRAPER, Inc.

Bob Hadsell
Home Theatre Sales Manager
DRAPER, Inc.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2001, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Chris, I don't know if I would recommend playing games on a CRT. You may end up burning your tubes...

As for screen material, it's difficult to say. There is going to be some degree of fall-off at the corners if you go with any kind of high gain screen (M2500 for example), whether that is visible enough to be a problem is up to you.

I would also suggest that you at least evaluate samples of Stewart material as well, especially since you've got such a nice projector. The difference in price is obviously significant, but it may not add much to your total system cost. All the gain screen from different manufacturers have different gain characteristics, so you might want to check out all the options. (Vutec as well)

I think AVScience sells Draper (I think they sell all the major scree brands), and they have excellent pricing.

Regards,

Kam Fung

[This message has been edited by KFung (edited 07-11-2001).]
post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2001, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I want to thank to everybody for their advise and expertise. I ended up ordering a Draper Premier, 4x3, 120 inch, M1300 from AVScience. About the use of the projector with my computer, I am very careful not to leave a static image for too long. I frequently change the resolution when playing computer games, thus avoiding the burn-in of the static menus. I also managed to almost completely darken the room.

Thanks
Chris
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page