Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 97 Old 01-05-2001, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If one views it in diffuse ambient (no projector), the gray level should be independent of the glossiness. If it is .4 gray with a 2.0 reflective gain, this is highly desirable from my point of view.

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 01-05-2001).]

Ken Elliott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 01-05-2001, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ken,

I agree. Just so you know I made up 40% and the 2.0 numbers. I don't have the product.

-Mr. Wigggles

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #93 of 97 Old 01-11-2001, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

When I saw it at CES, the screen did not have a glossy look... it resembled the 1.3 gain sample they had there more than anything. I heard numbers like 0.6 gain at the dark end 0.85 at the bright end, I'm not sure if the 0.6 gain also indicates the colour of paint they were using or if it is just the value Don Stewart posted earlier in his post on testing methodology. I did however see the bright sparkles that some testers commented on, not in all cases though (actually only in the Yamaha demo, if memory serves), I can't explain why. Although, I did notice higher reflectance bits on the 1.3 gain samples they had there that matched similar bits on the Greyhawk they had hanging on the wall. Could these be related? Why don't I notice similar "sparkles" on 1.3 gain Stewart screens? In any case I didn't find them to objectionable, but they did appear to be in-line with light reflected from the projector.

As someone mentioned before, Don stated that the half angle was 70 degrees. Definitely not characteristic of a high gain screen...might a higher gain version with a smaller half angle be possible? That would increase ambient light rejection (although to a smaller degree) and it would raise screen brightness.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #94 of 97 Old 01-11-2001, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Based on Carey P's photos, I'd bet on the 1.3*0.6 = 0.8 .

With diffuse ambient, the photos reflect the non-reflective gain of the screen. (i.e. since the incoming light is not collimated it does not get preferentially reflected in any particular direction). It is certainly not .4 and looks substantially darker than 0.8. (I have a HD DaMat sample and Kodak gray card for reference).

This is also consistent with the half angle behavior.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #95 of 97 Old 01-12-2001, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I believe I spoke of the "sparkles" but they are not noticeable unless you examine the screen up close, with projected light - even closer (within a few inches) in normal room (diffuse) light. It is part of that magical optical coating which makes it more than just a gray screen.

I have never seen these sparkles in normal viewing of any DVD's so far. Even on the brightest sky scenes (I sit about 13ft back from the 96" wide screen). I have, however, reported a slight "sheen" that follows the viewer (out to ~70°) if blasted with a white-light field from AVIA. This is probably attributed to the combined sparkle effect. Yet it was still not objectionable by any means. Of course, this lends one to believe that it may be noticeable even in normal viewing, if using a projector of much greater light output (than my measly 1000 lumens). If so, this is only incidental, as the overall picture it makes is still phenomenal!
-Carey
post #96 of 97 Old 01-15-2001, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI for those keep looking at this thread for updates on the greyhawk you may want to also check this out: http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-...um=DCForumID29

I just found it myself...

Scott Fauque (F200) - - - Fauque's PMT (Personal Movie Theater) (as of 26-Nov-2001)
Good timber does not grow with ease; the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees. -- J. Willard Marriott
Good HTs do not get built with ease; the harder to build, the better to please. -- me
post #97 of 97 Old 07-21-2001, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

TTT,
classic thread for digital projector users.

------------------
STOP HDCP on DVI
Don O

Cheers,
Don O
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page