advice needed on Da-lite Permwall screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-24-2001, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a 92" x 52" High Contrast (Grey) Permwall screen from Da-lite. I've had it up for almost two weeks now and it still shows shome dark verticle streaking on it with bright scenes. I was hoping that as the fabric settled it would go away, but it does not seem to be doing so. Any tips on what to do about this? It shows up over about a 2' section with 4 of 5 streaks that run from the top to about 2/3s of the way down. They're just off center so they are starting to drive me nuts.

thanks,

Paul

------------------
Paul B. Musser
nospam@nycap.rr.com

Loudon Theater:
Sony VPL-VW10HT Projector
Da-Lite 92" Screen
Toshiba SD-5109 DVD Player
Scientific Atlantic 2000HD Cable Box
Sherwood New Castle R-925 A/V Receiver
Acurus L10 Preamplifier
Forte Audio 1A Amplifier
Magnepan MMG Speakers
Rotel RCD-951 CD Player
Boston Accoustic VR10 Center Channel Speaker
Boston Accoustic SW10 Subwoofer
PSB Alpha Surround Speakers
MIT, AudioQuest, Tributeries and Monster Cable
Monster Power HT1000 Power Conditioner

Paul B. Musser
Visit Loudon Theater at:
http://home.nycap.rr.com/pbm1/loudon.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2001, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Check out the www.bigpictureDVD.com forums (specifically the Sanyo forum). There are several reports of similar problems with that screen. One person is on his fourth screen. I would consider spending the extra cash on a Greyhawk. Let Jason from this forum give you a quote. I got a fixed screen 100" for about $1000. Probably a few hundred more than the Da-lite, but it is the best screen available.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2001, 08:55 PM

I am also experiencing a similar problem on my 104" x "58" permwall with Da-Mat fabric. The problem is vertical streaks in the optical coating on the fabric.

I called Da-Lite and they sent me replacement fabric with no hassles at all. The second fabric had the same problem as the first but only near the center of the screen. On the first screen, it had uniform streaks across the entire screen. I returned the original screen since it was worse than the replacement. However, I expressed to the CSR to pass my concerns on to development and to contact me if a solution was found.

I'm wondering if this is strictly a problem with Da-Mat and High Contrast Da-Mat fabrics? I would have gladly changed to the cinevision if it didn't exhibit the problem. I also considered the High Power but my 10ht is ceiling mounted and the sample that I analyzed seemed prone to hotspoting.

Blake are you out there? Any recommendations? If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it. The screen is less than two weeks old (purchased through B&H Photo). I spoke with Jack(CSR)in-depth about my problems. He was very helpful and replaced my screen immediately. However, I'm only partially satisfied with my replacment. I'm hesitant to ask for another one since chances are it will have the same problem. Can you get to the bottom of the problem and give us a recommendation? I was unaware that others were also experiencing the same problems until now.

The problem is only present during bright scenes (which is usually every two or three minutes during a movie. It is especialy anoying when there is a lot of motion in the picture. The problem is not visible when standing directly in front of the screen when the projector is off. If a person places a light source at one end of the screen and stands to the side of the screen from the other end, one can see darker areas that appear as streaks in the optical coating that run from the top of the screen to the bottom. The frame is installed per the instructions. The problem is not wrinkles.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-24-2001, 09:29 PM

Paul and Bryan,

First I want to apologize for the problems you are having. This is the first I have heard of this issue. Can both of you please provide me with more details on your purchases like the dealer involved, when shipped and perhaps the order numbers. With this information, I will investigate the issue and let you each know. Please send me an e-mail at bbrubaker@da-lite.com with that information. Regardless of the situation, if the product has a flaw or is not performing right, we will correct that to your satisfaction, end of story. We strongly believe that if you are not happy, we are not happy.

Let me see what I can find out.

Thank you,

Blake Brubaker

------------------
Blake

Blake Brubaker, CTS
Vice President of Sales
Da-Lite Screen Company, Inc.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page