Manual Tensioned or Electric Non-Tensioned? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2015, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Manual Tensioned or Electric Non-Tensioned?

I am toying with the idea of a FP setup in the living room of my condo. It is a multi purpose space so a fixed screen is out of the question. The only options are to ceiling mount or go portable. I prefer not having to find a space to tuck away a 100" screen so ceiling mount is the way to go. Given that I am renting, I would rather not spend for a high end model at the moment because I do plan on moving to a bigger place at some point and would then replace it with a bigger screen.

From the reading I've done, it seems manuals are prone to waves and electrics are less prone. Would I be better off with a tensioned manual or a non tensioned electric? Elite seems to be the best bang for the buck brand. I also noticed Favi makes a tab-tensioned model. Does anyone have suggestions for anything $250-300 that will be mostly free of waves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodynamics View Post
I am toying with the idea of a FP setup in the living room of my condo. It is a multi purpose space so a fixed screen is out of the question. The only options are to ceiling mount or go portable. I prefer not having to find a space to tuck away a 100" screen so ceiling mount is the way to go. Given that I am renting, I would rather not spend for a high end model at the moment because I do plan on moving to a bigger place at some point and would then replace it with a bigger screen.

From the reading I've done, it seems manuals are prone to waves and electrics are less prone. Would I be better off with a tensioned manual or a non tensioned electric? Elite seems to be the best bang for the buck brand. I also noticed Favi makes a tab-tensioned model. Does anyone have suggestions for anything $250-300 that will be mostly free of waves?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Favi-120-16-...item339f5c4cdb

No one can guarantee no waves with any screen but I've been using a Focupix branded screen that I'm sure is identical to this one (NON-tensioned) for over 4 years and it's never had any waves or wrinkles--just a bit of "curl-in" on the edges that you have to look from the side to see. It's been up & down a zillion times & still operates just fine. There's also a 100" listed there (Ebay) for $150. I have seen where others have had waves with Favi's so maybe I just got lucky. For the $$$ it's worth it to try especially as you'll be moving on.
JMHO, hope it helps.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement