How many of you have actually seen a curvrd or torus high gain screen? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 65 Old 07-25-2001, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For whatever it's worth, the patent held by Sigma Design Group does not limit the torus to an imperforate screen. It specifically states:

Quote:
Furthermore, while the film 4 has prevously been describd as being imperforate, it could be provided with holes therethrough so that sound could more easily pass through the film 4.
You can find the patent at www.uspto.gov The patent number is 4,750,808.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 07-25-2001, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Furthermore, while the film 4 has prevously been describd as being imperforate, it could be provided with holes therethrough so that sound could more easily pass through the film 4.

I can hear the CFM Hovercraft already!!
post #63 of 65 Old 07-26-2001, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The TORUS screen obviously exists. It is super expensive.

What needs to be worked out for home theater is a series of standard screen designs that apply to some generally marketable situations.

For that, if I see I can make good money on it, I am willing to work with THE FOUNDERS, my hands on experience CAN and WILL prevent many potential installation pitfalls that would thwart a succesful product launch.

I am not ready though.

On my end I am in the process of upgrading the two installs I did back in 1993, one without special lensing and one with special lensing and extended geometry, I will make up my mind then. I feel I have already licked the acoustical hotspot problem.

These revamped installs I would like to publish on Home Theater Interiors Magazine in a "TORUS SCREENFEST REDUX" article to Alert The Public As to the sad state of affairs, and present them with the SOLUTION. That should kick the whole thing off the ground. Makes sense?

KGB as a Hobbyist, you can build in your LAB whatever you want, some of the two patent holders (Don Stewart & Gerald Nash) may feel differently, though. If it is for your own personal tinkering I think you are cool...

------------------
Peter Montoulieu

Extreme engineering of MAGNUM Reference Post Production Systems for the Industry, and Private applications.

Barco Cinemax
Snell & Wilcox
TORUS Compound Curved Screens, TACT Audio, Dynaudio.
post #64 of 65 Old 07-26-2001, 06:54 PM
REW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
CC screens
Why wait around?Just do it!Some members(good on ya)have done versions.If a patent ever comes,we will see how airtight and confining it is.It wont make a fig of diff to each DIY guy.They will have theirs working well ahead,and it doesnt need more than 90% of a pro versions performance.
"Linus Torvalds warming up in the back room and B.Gates is getting sicker!"
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!-only if its done by FET!"

post #65 of 65 Old 07-26-2001, 09:07 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There will NEVER, I mean NEVER be a perforated 'Torus' screen. There may be a perforated 'compound curved', or 'toridial section... 'hardscreen', but never a perferated "TORUS" screen. Acoustics WILL NOT ALLOW. PERIOD.

Which is probably why there is such a slowdown. They are probably wracking their brains.. trying to find a way to patent it. Too bad. What the hell they will ever get to be in the patent specification, that will allow only them to manufacture it..(toridial section hardscreen) is totally beyond me. The patent system is so slowed down right now.. by unessessary flak and overload.. that it would be a MINIMUM of 2 years berofe you see a screen. IF anything comes of it. Systems MIGHT be issued soon, if they get a 'patent pending' situation occuring. This would only occur if they have recieved notice that their patent appliction has been 'accepted'. But, it could still be rejected. The safe course is to wait it out. That means 2 years, minimum.

Just thought you might like to know. This is, of course, all speculation, based on incidental knowledge of the patent applications system... if we are indeed waiting on Sigma and Don to run a patent through.

OTOH, perhaps not, and we are mrely waiting for the thing to be perfected to a reasonable degree.

I have sat on my hands and mouth ever since Peter asked me to, and I haven't even made myself a simple compound curved screen. Not much longer.

------------------
goosystems.com

Ken Hotte
kbk@cyberfreak.dhs.org

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 07-26-2001).]

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page