Should I be considering a grey screen? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Should I be considering a grey screen?

I am building a dedicated theater room. My projector is a Sony vpl hw40ES. I will be using a 120" screen. Before I got the projector I had every intention of buying a Silver Ticket white 1.1 gain screen. Then I got my projector and wanted to play around with it so I set it up and projected it onto the wall where the screen will go, which I have painted completely black, and I was pretty stunned by the picture quality. The contrast was outstanding, yet the image was still quite bright and enjoyable. And that's on a black matte imperfect wall.

Should I be considering a grey version of the Silver Ticket screen? Will it improve the overall image, or degrade it as compared to white? The only knock I've read of the Sony projector was a somewhat poorer black level as compared to competitors that have an adjustable iris, but I loathe adjustable irisis... irisees... iri... whatever the plural of iris is. Would a grey screen improve this, or is it more about rejecting the ambient light in the room? The room will be completely light controlled and the screen wall is black with the side walls being a deep red, so ambient light will not be an issue.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside50 View Post
I am building a dedicated theater room. My projector is a Sony vpl hw40ES. I will be using a 120" screen. Before I got the projector I had every intention of buying a Silver Ticket white 1.1 gain screen. Then I got my projector and wanted to play around with it so I set it up and projected it onto the wall where the screen will go, which I have painted completely black, and I was pretty stunned by the picture quality. The contrast was outstanding, yet the image was still quite bright and enjoyable. And that's on a black matte imperfect wall.

Should I be considering a grey version of the Silver Ticket screen? Will it improve the overall image, or degrade it as compared to white? The only knock I've read of the Sony projector was a somewhat poorer black level as compared to competitors that have an adjustable iris, but I loathe adjustable irisis... irisees... iri... whatever the plural of iris is. Would a grey screen improve this, or is it more about rejecting the ambient light in the room? The room will be completely light controlled and the screen wall is black with the side walls being a deep red, so ambient light will not be an issue.

Thanks.
Not an expert by my understanding is that the benefit of gray screen is ambient light rejection and the cost is both brightness and color accuracy.

Ambient light can arise from discrete light sources such as windows and fixtures and it also arises from projection light that bounces off your screen then reflects back onto it from light colored surfaces in your room such as walls and ceiling.

Get screen samples! Test it in your environment. Then you will know. Also, if you want better advice, describe and/or post pictures of your room.

Even with white screen you might be able to improve ovrall contrast by reducing screen gain (not sure about that) or total brightness (i.e. light output, this definitely works on some projectors) setting of your projector but that will not help one bit with ambient light issue.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
Not an expert by my understanding is that the benefit of gray screen is ambient light rejection and the cost is both brightness and color accuracy.

Ambient light can arise from discrete light sources such as windows and fixtures and it also arises from projection light that bounces off your screen then reflects back onto it from light colored surfaces in your room such as walls and ceiling.

Get screen samples! Test it in your environment. Then you will know. Also, if you want better advice, describe and/or post pictures of your room.

Even with white screen you might be able to improve ovrall contrast by reducing screen gain (not sure about that) or total brightness (i.e. light output, this definitely works on some projectors) setting of your projector but that will not help one bit with ambient light issue.
Yeah my fear is affecting the color accuracy for just a modicum of depth to the blacks. I was just so surprised at how good the image looked projected on a completely black surface, and suffice to say the blacks were pretty darn black. Considering the original plan was for a BenQ 1075, I'll probably be pretty satisfied with the Sony on white or grey. Do you think Silver Ticket offers screen material samples?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah my fear is affecting the color accuracy for just a modicum of depth to the blacks. I was just so surprised at how good the image looked projected on a completely black surface, and suffice to say the blacks were pretty darn black. Considering the original plan was for a BenQ 1075, I'll probably be pretty satisfied with the Sony on white or grey. Do you think Silver Ticket offers screen material samples?
No idea about Silver Ticket. I am just repeating advice I have read on this forum. My own screen is a used Elite AT and it has bad moire but it is temporary. I still have some work to do myself.

I am using the 1075 in an off-white room and the blacks are washed out. Not sure but once I have a quality screen I might have to do something with the walls and ceiling to get maximum picture quality. It is really difficult to do these things in an apartment with popcorn ceiling.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No idea about Silver Ticket. I am just repeating advice I have read on this forum. My own screen is a used Elite AT and it has bad moire but it is temporary. I still have some work to do myself.

I am using the 1075 in an off-white room and the blacks are washed out. Not sure but once I have a quality screen I might have to do something with the walls and ceiling to get maximum picture quality. It is really difficult to do these things in an apartment with popcorn ceiling.
Ha and I thought I had it rough in my theater! In my experience even with the best laid plans apartment living and theater viewing are not conducive.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ha and I thought I had it rough in my theater! In my experience even with the best laid plans apartment living and theater viewing are not conducive.
Exactly why I built my system from used components. No point installing a killer system with stellar sound and picture just to play it -20dB to avoid knocking down the knick knacks in someone else's living room.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Exactly why I built my system from used components. No point installing a killer system with stellar sound and picture just to play it -20dB to avoid knocking down the knick knacks in someone else's living room.
That sounds about like where I have been in the past. This is my first house, and certainly my first purpose-built from the studs theater room. So I want it to be glorious.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2015, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Would a grey screen improve this, or is it more about rejecting the ambient light in the room? The room will be completely light controlled and the screen wall is black with the side walls being a deep red, so ambient light will not be an issue.
A matte grey screen may give a perception of higher contrast, but in reality it does not reject ambient light any more than it "rejects" the projector light; i.e., the contrast ratio remains the same as a matte white screen, everything else being equal. In the case of Silver Ticket screens, the gains are 1.0 and 1.1 respectively, so the difference in black level will be minimal (unlike your black wall).

For light controlled rooms such as yours (assuming the ceiling is also dark), a matte white screen is usually the best.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well I contacted Silver Ticket and they said they no longer offer screen samples due to high demand. They did, however, recommend a white screen in my situation so there ya go.
post #10 of 10 Unread Today, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When i first got my 40es projector, i immediately hooked it up and shot it at an unfinished concrete wall in my basement.

I played some call of duty and watched a scene from the first transformers movie (blu ray).

I was blown away at how good it looked.

I was advised to go with a white screen when i get my room finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page