Matte or Glass beaded? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-12-2001, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Elctrohome ECP 4000 projector set 12 feet away from the screen, floor mounted. I am looking for a screen 69X92.
I was thinking about a screen for a long time (cause wall is not a good choice and I am tired of DYI) and Helen at AVS only offered me stuff at over $500, I have spent less on my PJ (FBI auction).
Sombody had mentioned a place that has Dalite model B for $160 including shipping (glass beaded, 69X92, 2.5 gain). I am getting quotes from some other places.

I would like to have some ambient light (so I don't break my toe for a third time going to the bathroom). So I guess 1.3 Matte White is out of question and 2.5 glass beaded would be best choice? Would hotspotting be horrible on a 2.5 in comparison with 1.3?

If any one has a good place they've seen with low prices for these screens, let me know. Do not PM me, e-mail me.

------------------
Apollo

1. Yes, I have spent $97 for an Electrohome ECP4000 service manual, and I am still hurting from it (I guess colleges aren't the only overcharging organizations)
2. Emperor of the Penny Pinchers, cause nobody became rich by wasting money.
3. "Yes, I am always pissed-off, but that is your problem, not mine!"
Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-12-2001, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
The Da-lite regular glass beaded screen is not a good idea for video. It would look very grainy and be very noticeable with any camera movement in a movie. Glass beaded screens were really only good for slide projectors and not moving images. The only glass beaded screen that is good for video is Da-lites High Power(2.8) screen. It has micro glass beads that are much, much smaller. It also has a protective coating to prevent the beads from falling off. Hotspotting is also not an issue with the high power.

Avery

------------------
My HT Pics http://members.aol.com/thxavery/
post #3 of 3 Old 08-12-2001, 07:58 PM
REW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I dont see why you wouldnt love 2.5 Glass beaded on your CRT PJ.I am trying to beat that result now and Torus here I come.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gifPS Sultan of Cheap meet Emperror of Penny Pinchers!

------------------
Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!-only if its done by FET!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page