Which type and brand of screen to buy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2001, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am buying a new Sony G90 which will placed in a fairly dark room. I am looking at a size of about 52 x 92. What would be the best screen for me to buy. Thanks in advance. Rivercitylad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2001, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

You will probably want to get a 1.3 gain screen of some kind. Both Da-Lite and Stewart have ISF certified 1.3 gain screens, Draper and Vutec also make 1.3 gain screen, but without the certification. Some people have commented that the Da-Lite 1.3 gain may have "sparklies." The best way is to get samples from all the companies and do a test with your projector (or get the samples from your dealer).

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2001, 02:59 PM

In response to Kam's post. Actually the Da-Lite Cinema Vision does not have "Sparkle" problems. When the fabric was first introduced (more than 6 years ago) the materials used to increase the gain are different than those used today. When the brightness in the projectors increased there was a running change made to the fabric that eliminated this issue. You see as the projectors got brighter the materials that were used became more evident and a change was necessary.

Therefore, rest assured anything that is bought today is very compatible with the current projectors and will not exhibit "Sparkling" issues.

Thanks,

------------------
Blake

Blake Brubaker, CTS
Vice President of Sales
Da-Lite Screen Company, Inc.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-04-2001, 09:45 PM
REW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Blake,
I would be interested if you or your company believe in the politically always correct 1.3 gain limit for such a projector.It seems we have plenty of bumblebees flying even tho they are not supposed to.Curved and Torus(neo)screens for instance.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

Ron
"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!-only if its done by FET!"

post #5 of 8 Old 08-05-2001, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Blake,

Quote:
the Da-Lite Cinema Vision does not have "Sparkle" problems. When the fabric was first introduced (more than 6 years ago) the materials used to increase the gain are different than those used today.
I had a Da-Lite 1.3 gain screen, purchased in the fall of 1999. It had a very pronounced sparkle problem. You could see it any time a full-white image shown on the screen. If you got up to the screen, it almost looked like little tiny mirror chips were embedded in the fabric. I really wish it hadn't had this problem, because other than the sparkles I liked it.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2001, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The reference standard for testing CRT projectors is the Stewart Studiotech 130 which is a 1.3 gain material. Almost anytime you see a review, that was the screen that the projector was tested on. Feel free to send me an email or call me for some custom quotes.

Thanks!

------------------
Jason Turk
AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com
716-454-1460 ext.204
Jason@avscience.com
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Tyr

Wish this was true. My 2 year old Da-lite Cinema Vision screen has a severe "sparklie" problem.

Mike

----------

Update. Just found out that my screen was purchased just before Da-lite changed the way the Cinema Vision fabric was made. So perhaps the “Sparklies†problem has indeed been fixed in the current screens.

[This message has been edited by Tyr (edited 08-13-2001).]
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2001, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have just replaced a Dalite Pearescence 2.0 (this is the old one that had issues with hot spotting and sparkles) gain Tensioned Electrol with the Cinevision 1.3 dalite screen for my Barco 808 and it does not have sparles at all. My older material suffered from sparkles but the Cinevision does not have a hint of it plus the color and uniformity of this material is superior. I have seen stewarts material and would say it is of similar performance. Though without seeing them in the same room with the same projector it's difficult to say one is better than another.

I am very happy with the Cinevision and the upgrade was significant for me.

Stick to the Dalite Cinevision or Stewart 1.3.

Cheers Rick

No matter where you go there you are!
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page