DYI perforated screening fabric? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2001, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there such a thing? I plan on using this in conjunction with a NEC LT150 to project onto a 10ft screen. Is there such a fabric with pretty high gain to allow for audio to pass through without much impedance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2001, 06:27 PM

Liked: 10
I'm interrested in this one as well. Has anybody with a DIY blackout fabric screen placed their speakers behind the screen even though it is not perforated? Just wondering if anyone tried it and what happened to the sound quality.

Regards,
Drew
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2001, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmmm,

It is possible, I have heard that some of the acoustically transparent screen around are actually made from windows shades or some such material. It believe they are fabrics with a very open weave so that sound can pass through.

That being said, I wouldn't really recommend it. Regular DIY screens will give pretty decent performance if you have a flat smooth surface and a good matte screen paint. However, an acoustically transparent screen is another animal. The degree of acoustical transparency is going to be difficult to determine, if it was just making all frequencies softer that wouldn't be so bad. The problem is that the screen will attenuate higher frequencies first, so you'll start to lose your treble.

You could evaluate the fabric by draping it over your speakers to see how it changes the sound, however I think you'll have a hard time finding a good balance between light loss through the perfs and good sound. Also, I don't think you will be able to find anything with a gain characteristic *and* acoustic transparency.

Good luck!

Kam Fung
post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2001, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

It muffles it by about 10-20db compared to other channels. If you want audio pass through, just use a non-blackout fabric. White duck cloth at Walmart for $3/yd for 60" width allows remote IR and sound to go through, but then you'd worry about reflection of back wall back to your screen which can drop contrast level slightly. You'd still have to boost center channel level to +12db and drop the other channels to 0db to make it sound good. If you have the screen in front of your regular TV like I do, you can use preout of your receiver to your TV in and use the TV speakers as part of your center channel which adds to the center channel and reduces the muffled effects of blackout screen. The best thing is to put your center speakers below or above your screen. You could also amplify your center preout with an external amp and adjust volume to match your other channels.

------------------
Huey ;-]

Huey ;-]
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page