Using 4:3 to watch 16:9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2001, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ask Da-Lite about ordering the screen with the amount of drop you require. From the Da-Lite catalog:
Drop is available on most Da-Lite wall, ceiling and electric screens. Drop is extra fabric added to the top or bottom of the screen to adjust the screen surface to normal viewing heights. Drop can be specified in either black or white.

It's most disappointing. I shall have to go all-out on some modifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-26-2001, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Scott,

I think you can order the 80"x45" pull down screen with an additional 15" of drop that can be black fabric to begin with. This sounds like exactly what you want, correct?

------------------
DMan
The Academy Home Theater

Darren Alcorn (DMan)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-26-2001, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dalite, along with any other screen company, can easily add your needed drop to any screen. There is just a small upcharge to do this. You would definitely be better off getting the drop you need in black rather than just ordering a different format or larger screen.

Thanks!

------------------
Jason Turk
AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com
716-454-1460 ext.204
Jason@avscience.com
post #4 of 7 Old 08-26-2001, 09:22 PM

I need to have a budget pull down screen with the maximum width of 80 inches, so I'm looking at buying a Da-Lite Model B in the 16:9 aspect ratio (80 X 45). However, my wife thinks that where I need to mount the screen casing will put the picture too high. Is there anything wrong with getting the 80 x 60 model to effectively "lower" the 16:9 viewing area by 15 inches? If I plan to watch almost all 16:9 material, can I paint the extra 15 inches black?

Thanks for listening.

------------------
Scott

Scott
sfoltz@ohfc.%com
(remove % to e-mail)
post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2001, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know how much drop is standard on the Model B? I think it's 2 inches. Can anyone confirm it? Thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-28-2001, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a model b pulldown in the highpower (120" diagonal), and this is exactly what I do. I'm just a inch or less off of a 16x9 (1024x567) screen. This way I can pull it down for 4x3 BIG screen TV.

I have a really simple masking system. I affixed black velvet to the bottom of the pulldown (on the bar) long enough to drape to the floor when I need 16x9. I have draped black velvet over the screens casing to hide the white, and have black velvet curtains on the side. It works really well and is super easy to use. The only problem is I need to add to my side curtains width for masking of 4x3 images displayed within the 16x9.

If you wanted perfect 16x9 then you could always place a hook on the wall and use that to give you a stoping point between the screens 6" stops.

Hope this helps

------------------
Adam

Enjoy the show!

post #7 of 7 Old 08-28-2001, 09:15 PM

I've got another question...

If I had a 4:3 (80"x60") Model B, will I be able to use it for watching 16:9 material by pulling it only partway to produce a 16:9 (80"x45") screen? Does it have a roller stop at this aspect ratio? Or will it automatically retract back to its case if it's not pulled all the way?

tnx - Sonny B.

[This message has been edited by sonny b (edited 08-28-2001).]

sonny b.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page