Newbie needs help with home theater setup - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie needs help with home theater setup

Hi,

I am new to the world of home theaters. I am trying to set up a small one in my finished carpeted basement. There is minimal light in the part where I want to get this set up. There are large open areas behind the sitting area with walls surrounding the remaining 3 areas. This sitting area is about 16'x16'. Distance from screen to sitting area would be 12'-16'. I have BenQ W1070. I have tested the projector throw to be about 12' for about 120' screen.

Here are the things I need help with:

1. Finding a ceiling mounted projector screen. I'd like to go with a 16:9 120". My budget is limited to $100-$170.
2. Finding the entire sound setup including a sub, all the speakers (5.1) and the receiver. I am totally open to purchasing all or as many as needed separately. I tested Klipsch Quintet gen V speakers with SW-10 sub and liked the sound, but don't have other comparison and have read reviews here where audiophiles have said you could do better if you just buy components separately. My budget is $1,000 total.

First time doing this, so will appreciate the help.

Thanks much in advance,
Manish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Haria View Post
Hi,

I am new to the world of home theaters. I am trying to set up a small one in my finished carpeted basement. There is minimal light in the part where I want to get this set up. There are large open areas behind the sitting area with walls surrounding the remaining 3 areas. This sitting area is about 16'x16'. Distance from screen to sitting area would be 12'-16'. I have BenQ W1070. I have tested the projector throw to be about 12' for about 120' screen.

Here are the things I need help with:

1. Finding a ceiling mounted projector screen. I'd like to go with a 16:9 120". My budget is limited to $100-$170.
2. Finding the entire sound setup including a sub, all the speakers (5.1) and the receiver. I am totally open to purchasing all or as many as needed separately. I tested Klipsch Quintet gen V speakers with SW-10 sub and liked the sound, but don't have other comparison and have read reviews here where audiophiles have said you could do better if you just buy components separately. My budget is $1,000 total.

First time doing this, so will appreciate the help.

Thanks much in advance,
Manish

Are you looking for a retractable screen? I assume so, since you say " ceiling mounted" , as opposed to a wall mounted fixed screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3 of 6 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently mounted my 120" Silver Ticket Screen (from Amazon) to ceiling joists as opposed to the wall. That was the much easier route for my setup.
post #4 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Are you looking for a retractable screen? I assume so, since you say " ceiling mounted" , as opposed to a wall mounted fixed screen.
Yes, retractable. There's stuff on the wall that the screen needs To cover up!!
post #5 of 6 Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post
I recently mounted my 120" Silver Ticket Screen (from Amazon) to ceiling joists as opposed to the wall. That was the much easier route for my setup.
That one is out of my budget as it is listed at $250 currently.
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manish Haria View Post
That one is out of my budget as it is listed at $250 currently.
I am working with a similar budget as you. I purchased a Von Haus 100" screen from Amazon for about $70 or so. So far I've been very pleasantly surprised with the quality for how inexpensive it was. I will warn you that it is quite difficult to roll back up once it has been pulled down. It has holes to mount it on the ceiling if I remember correctly.

I'm sure it won't blow anyone's socks off, but I'm loving the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Tags
receiver , screen , speakers , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page