Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #151 of 152 Old 09-05-2001, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Whew!! Here it is, a year and a half since this thread began, and I am just now stumbling across it, and what a great find it is!! I have been a DIY'er for a couple of years now, but I never considered making my own screen...but I sure will now!

Can someone bring me up to speed on things? Here is my situation and concerns:

1. I just bought an Electrohome Marquee 8500LC CRT projector refitted with 9" tubes...arguably the finest projecor made.

2. I wish to project it on a 96" X 54" screen of the highest resolution and quality.

3. The screen must be opaque and free hanging, as it will be mounted in front of a stairway (and so hopefully lightweight).

4. The room is 100% light controllable, so ambient light is a non-issue.

5. Ceiling is already covered in black velvet.

6. Projector is ceiling mounted.

With these things in mind, what is the all out best solution for me? Are Ken's custom mixed paints still available? What material and/or paint combination will provide me with an image that will do my new projector justice? I was going to just buy a Stewart Studiotek 130 screen, but it seems like I can build a better (and cheaper http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) one myself. How can I get maximum depth perception/3d imaging? Suggestions?

Edit: BTW, I am using a Draper M2500 right now (by accident) and I find it a bad choice for my application (hotspotting, lacks depth perception, color shifting), so I don't want to create a screen with these same problems.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP/5C/DFAST!

[This message has been edited by Bob Sorel (edited 09-05-2001).]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 152 Old 09-05-2001, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want to see how I built my screen, check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001290.html

In it you'll find a link to a web page I made for my screen, complete with construction photos. I used blackout cloth and 1 x 4 fir frame pieces, with an outstanding result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page