Carada Material Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Carada Material Question

So I finally took the plunge and converted a room in my home to a dedicated theater space. Because of the size and orientation of the room, I only have about a 9.5 throw to my screen -- photo can be seen below. The screen is a 92" Carada Criterion and the projector is a Sony HW30ES.

Initially I bought the brilliant white screen material, but am thinking this is not the right fit for my short throw and screen size. I currently have the lamp on low and the brightness down to about 30.

I'm thinking it might be worth getting either the classic cinema white or even the high contrast grey; to help black levels especially. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin_Guy View Post
Initially I bought the brilliant white screen material, but am thinking this is not the right fit for my short throw and screen size. I currently have the lamp on low and the brightness down to about 30.

Are you concerned with the excessive brightness at that screen size? If so, can you not use the projector's manual iris to reduce it?
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Are you concerned with the excessive brightness at that screen size? If so, can you not use the projector's manual iris to reduce it?
At the close throw distance I am basically using no zoom at all -- which I know also increases brightness a bit. But overall I am concerned with the color accuracy being truly natural and also the black levels.

I am using the recommend settings for the HW30 from the forum here on AVS, but as I mentioned I did have to put the lamp on low and dial the brightness way down (it might be less than 30).

Right now the blacks/contrast strike me like they could be better, and that the screen material is largely the culprit given specs of my setup.

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz

Last edited by Chopin_Guy; 05-11-2015 at 07:34 AM.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Based on my experience, the CCW is almost the same brightness as the BW so if too much brightness is an issue then it probably won't help that much. Black level is indeed better (it's not night and day but is enough to have made the swap worth it) and the image just has greater depth and smoothness.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Based on my experience, the CCW is almost the same brightness as the BW so if too much brightness is an issue then it probably won't help that much. Black level is indeed better (it's not night and day but is enough to have made the swap worth it) and the image just has greater depth and smoothness.
Thanks Rob -- appreciate your experience.

This is where I'm torn -- given how conservatively I am running the projector -- I thought perhaps I could go with the high contrast grey and get away with it. Finding any info that's terribly recent about this material is tricky, though. I know at the very least doing with the CCW will be a better solution than the BW in my setting.

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to have a grey screen before I got my BW 8 years ago and while the grey is nice for black level, it isn't as nice for everything else.

I would like to know what the real gain is for the Carada grey screen. I know the website says 0.8 but the gain for the BW is not 1.4 and is closer to 1 gain and based on my i1 display pro readings, the calibrated brightness of my CCW is only around 6% less than my BW I swapped out.

If you find the image to be very bright then the grey would probably work for you and give you the better black level you want and you'd be able to compensate as the bulb ages. The CCW will give you a better black yet it may not be enough if you find the BW blacks really lacking. I'd say check out samples but from my experience the CCW sample is not representative of the full screen being that material since the sample looked a lot dimmer than the full screen is so I don't know how well the grey sample would be.

Have you calibrated your 30ES?

When it comes to black, is your issue just black on dark scenes or a black screen or black in brighter scenes? Or both?

Last edited by rlindo; 05-11-2015 at 08:24 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Have you calibrated your 30ES?

When it comes to black, is your issue just black on dark scenes or a black screen or black in brighter scenes? Or both?
I have only calibrated the HW30 based on the 'best' settings outlined here in the dedicated AVS HW30ES forum.

In terms of my issue with black levels it is overall -- not specific to bright or dark scenes. Given the narrow room and close seating distance it's easier to pick up on those sort of things.

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #8 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Part of it will be the areas in your room that are light coloured so if you go for the grey screen then that should help a bit with dealing with reflections washing out the black given the black level will have a deeper starting point to deal with the washing out.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
So I finally took the plunge and converted a room in my home to a dedicated theater space. Because of the size and orientation of the room, I only have about a 9.5 throw to my screen -- photo can be seen below. The screen is a 92" Carada Criterion and the projector is a Sony HW30ES.

I'm thinking it might be worth getting either the classic cinema white or even the high contrast grey; to help black levels especially. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated...

You already have most of that room painted black. Can you paint the wall directly behind you black, or put black velvet curtains over it? That will help your black levels on your screen. The wall that the screen faces will reflect light right back onto the screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #10 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You already have most of that room painted black. Can you paint the wall directly behind you black, or put black velvet curtains over it? That will help your black levels on your screen. The wall that the screen faces will reflect light right back onto the screen.
I entertained the idea, but was trying to balance the function of the room with it being open to the rest of the home at the same time. I know that is definitely reflecting light right back onto the screen at the same time though. Nonetheless I was thinking a more appropriate screen material might be able to help as well...

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #11 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
I entertained the idea, but was trying to balance the function of the room with it being open to the rest of the home at the same time. I know that is definitely reflecting light right back onto the screen at the same time though. Nonetheless I was thinking a more appropriate screen material might be able to help as well...

But you are so close now - " one more wall, one more wall " ..............

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #12 of 16 Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The grey screen will though like Craig, I'd look to cover that wall if possible which will help a bit. If you don't want to paint it then you could throw up some curtains to put in place when it's movie time.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-14-2015, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
And the white ceiling can also reflect a fair bit of light. Also, reduce the lens iris manually will help with the contrast.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-14-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wall the screen shines directly on is one of the most critical - curtains, velvet - anything but white / bright !

post #15 of 16 Old 05-14-2015, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
The wall the screen shines directly on is one of the most critical - curtains, velvet - anything but white / bright !
Haha...I saw that one coming. The room is very close, but perhaps I could do like a charcoal grey or something like that to help a bit and will work with the smoke black that I have on the other walls. Given this room is open to my home I don't think I want to go all black -- but something darker would definitely help....

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
post #16 of 16 Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well after looking at it -- I am going to bit the bullet and finish the room out in the black -- both that back wall and ceiling. This will give me a chance to change out that light fixture I am not a fan of as well.

So hoping this will make an appreciable difference, and will hold off on replacing the BW material until I see how I like it with the walls painted.

Will post my impressions and updated pics once done.

--Sergei Rachmaninov

--Hector Berlioz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens