Screen Formats...which one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-11-2001, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new and I have no idea what I'm doing so bare with me.

That said...

I'm in the process of designing a home theatre room for my basement. My dilemna currently deals with the screen aspect ratio. I'd like to go with a 16:9 96X54 type of setup for widescreen presentations. My question is, if I'm watching a reqular 4:3 format video, will the picture overlap the top and bottom portions of the screen? Should I use a different screen size to be more compatible?

I haven't purchased a projector as of yet but I think I'll be going the crt route.

Thanks all...

CRT - Can't Really Tell the difference between the view on my screen and the view out my window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-12-2001, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Welcome.

I'm relatively new at this as well. I have a 4:3 projector (an NEC LT150) and I ended up buying a 4:3 screen thinking it would be less hassle to just match the aspect ratios.

I'm now running a 16:9 aspect ratio since that's what I view 99% of the time. I use an HTPC as my source and use the Powerstrip utility to setup a 1024x576 (16:9) resolution. When showing 4:3 material, I now get black bars on the sides. Since only about 1% of my viewing will be 4:3, the decreased pixel count is OK with me. Once I get NTSC sources projecting, I'm guessing the smaller screen size will also help increase perceived sharpness.

Why not just stick with my 4:3 screen since I have it? I've got relatively low ceilings in my basement and a 16:9 screen fits better.

------------------
Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ
My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

Tom L.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page