Vutec at CEDIA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-08-2001, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the Vutec at CEDIA. It was pretty interesting. If you put your hand in the light path, it really cast a nearly black shadow, even though it was in a very brightly lit area. They claimed a gain of 2.5. It had good horizontal spreading. I think most of the gain comes in the vertical direction. For normal viewing, the angle is probably good enough. Once you get to the extremes, it "shuts off" very quickly. The luminance vs angle function is more "square wave" than anything I've ever seen. Anyone have any idea how this works?
Also, there was a seam across the screen, even though the screen was pretty small (maybe 2' by 4').

------------------
Steve

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-08-2001, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

i posted over in the dlp forum and mentioned this. the rep told me that it uses a shelf technology. sounded like putting a screen behind a venetian blind. light can come in and go out in a narrow vertical plane. he said a 60" was over 5K. the seam is a manufacturing issue that they will not overcome for some time. every 20 inches or so there is a seam.

greg

------------------
-------------------------
Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

-------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2001, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

So if its like slats, the angle of optimum viewing must be really narrow, am I right?

------------------
Jeff
Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

Thanks,

Jeff

Finally went digital: RS20, ISCO IIIs, DIY 10.5' wide torus screen, Stewart StudioTek 1.3 G3 with 4 way masking and adjustable image size
post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2001, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's not horribly narrow. The setup was a small screen about chest level, with the PJ several feet away at about waist height (if my memory serves). I had to get pretty far off axis to notice the brightness cutoff. On a big screen with a regular setup, I might draw a different conclusion.

------------------
Steve

Steve
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page