Newbies opinion on Blackout material vs Behr Ultra Pure White - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-15-2001, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my first projector just over a week ago , I had a 59" wide 4:3 screen made of a frame and Blackout material ,vinyl side out ready to go before the projector arrived. The picture was great but I regreted building a 4:3 screen so small.
I then built a 16:9 screen 72" wide made of 1/4" hardboard on a frame which I just finished today , I used hardboard because one side of it is extremely smooth, I then painted on 2 coats of primer followed by 3 coats of Behr Ultra Pure White.

The only reason I would buy a screen from Da-Lite or any other screen manufacturer is to get more gain..but at this point I don't see the need for it.

IMO both of these produce a very good picture but Blackout material is very fragile and cannot be cleaned. If you live in a high dust environment I would recommend not using Blackout material unless you will only be using the screen 6 months or so. Also I would say the Behr paint screen has an egde over the Blackout material in terms of gain.

The Blackout screen cost me $25 and the Ultra White screen cost me $62.

Thanks to all the posters here at the AVS that gave me the plans for two great DIY screens.

------------------
James' DIY Speakers
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page