Roll-down DIY screen?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2001, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
SFC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to the many wonderful posts on this site, I have prepared a fixed DIY gray screen (painted Rockland Budget Blackout material) that is really wonderful! So wonderful, in fact, that it works better than any of the commercial screen materials I have tested (including Grayhawk).

Now, the problem! I can't keep moving the screen around and would really like to make a roll-down, ceiling-mounted screen (preferably powered). Has anyone done such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-01-2001, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

If you make a screen out of blackout cloth by stapling it to 2 round rods (one on top and one on bottom), you can manually roll it up and down. To keep it rolled up, you could hook it to 2 ceiling hooks (one on each end of the rod) a few inches away from where you have your screen hung. You also can mount a horizontal box to store your rolled up screen. This box can be opened and the screen drops down. I'd recommend some bungie cords to tension the screen once rolled down as wrinkles are inevitable with rolling up and down. With tensioning the wrinkles will be smoothed out.

------------------
Huey ;-]

Huey ;-]
post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2001, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
SFC

Thanks Huey for your comments.

I see from recent posts that there is a move afoot to get some large sizes of blackout material. Have others given consideration to possible roll-up/down designs?

SFC
post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2001, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
You'll laugh at this - before constructing a DIY screen from blackout material, I projected onto the inside surface of a 70X60 inch bright white room darkening roller shade.

Two problems - there was a lot of light leaking around the edges of the blind, and there was a slight weave texture to the vinyl fabric which caused tiny little sparkly hotspots.

I made a DIY screen with a black shadowbox frame which sits on that same doublewide windowsill and put handles on both sides so I could stash it in the garage. I never have done that, as any guests since then have been interested in viewing DVD movies or TV on the projector.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-25-2001, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting the large blackout screen and I have been contemplating on a rolldown solution. The screen will be covering two sliding glass doors so leaving the screeen down is not an option.

My options are to have it built on a solid frame and then lifting that up via a pulley method to the ceiling. So in essense the screen becomes the ceiling. Not very cosmetically friendly. I might make a run down to home depot tonight and see what they have and if it will be possible to make it automatically roll up.

If I find something that works I'll let you know, and if you find a way definately post it here.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2001, 10:22 PM

From what I've read, roll-up screens are problematic for wrinkles even with the very expensive "store-bought" ones. Of course, doesn't mean you can't do it. I saw one poster here who rolled his screen *horizontally* rather than up and down. Used bungie cords to keep it tight.

A roll up screen would have been ideal for me, but too expensive, especially when considering the fact that I'm still experimenting with screen sizes and materials.

I chose to hang my DIY rigid frame screen on the wall with hardware for a "pocket door" or sliding closet door. In the normal viewing position, my screen ends up blocking a doorway. After viewing I slide the screen to the side, out of the way of the doorway.
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page