Please recommend a grey paint mix with 1.5-2.0 gain. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-31-2001, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I searched the archives and could not find any recommendations for a specific grey paint mix, could
someone recommend a mix that can be done at Home Depot?
I would like a 1.5-2.0 gain
Thanks

------------------
James' DIY Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-31-2001, 10:41 AM

Hi James,

I don't know if this will help but what I am trying. Is using a Blackout shade vinyl white. Using the non glossy side. And just sprayed it with a light coat of Rust Oleum Silver Metallic. Spraying a light coat standing about 1.5 to 2ft back, spraying back and foreword, up and down, till the vinyl became a light gray screen. And with the Shinny Silver Paint there is some reflective ness to give it some brightness to the picture. I tested it on a small piece last night and it look great. I've just did the hole thing now (letting it dry) and tonight I'm going to test it out. If it works out, or not, I'll let you know. (Test before you try or wait for my results this is just FYI)

(Key note clean the surface realy good or else with the light spraying will show all finger prints and oil spots. I've found out the hard way.)

Paint info: www.rustoleum.com/category.asp?SubCatID=38&MainCatID=4
post #3 of 7 Old 08-31-2001, 11:16 AM

Liked: 13
I just made a screen this past weekend for my Sony 10HT. I used Glidden interior flat white and mixed a little Glidden flat black. I experimented with different shades and ended up with a shade a little darker then 'Snowfield' and a little lighter then 'Veil'...it is close to 'Universal Gray'. I looked at having Home Depot mix Universal Gray for me, however I did not like the fact that the mix called for some red and yellow pigments. So I decided to mix my own. The other advantage, other then being able to experiment, is I can still use the white and black for other projects. The screen came out real nice and the image looks great with improved blacks and the whites are still clean and bright. I don't know what the final gain value is however.

Steve
post #4 of 7 Old 09-01-2001, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Grey screens have a gain of less than 1. If you are looking for a gain of 2.0 - 2.5, then you might want a silvr screen, but you certainly don't want a grey one.

Vern Dias
post #5 of 7 Old 09-01-2001, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

One may want to consider a flat gray mix to set the attenuation with a gain enahncer on top of it, i.e. two coats.

The second coat should be translucent. Satin probably adds too much gain.

Silver/aluminum-based paints can make good screens but are extremely sensitive to any kind of non-uniformity or surface contamination.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-2001, 05:20 AM

Liked: 13
I took some pictures of my DIY screen.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_up...eperscreen.jpg

It is the back side of wood panel painted with Glidden flat white mixed with flat black. Details are earlier in this thread. Boarder is pine 1x2 frame wraped with black felt. And here is a picture of 'Mr. Freeze' from Batman and Robin.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/FREEZE.jpg

I should have used a stand when taking picture, it is a little blury, but gives the idea of the colors and how the blacks look. Projector is the Sony VPL-VW10HT and I took pictures with a Cannon D260 digital camera.

Steve
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2001, 07:25 PM

see my earlier post on grey polyester primer. I just put on my 3rd coat with my sata hvlp gun and it is looking great! Gain is noticeably higher than my da-lite hc sample but not shiny.

Good luck
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page