Are there any other brands that make Micropefs Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-28-2001, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone

Does anyone know where to get a 92" 16x9 Microperfs screen. I would like to buy one but can't afford what Stewart Screen wants for it. I personally work for an audio/video store and even the dealer cost is too rich for my blood. And also I am only using the Sony VHP-1251, CRT Front Projector with Vidikron VP-20, Line Doubler. Is there any other solution. Thank you.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-28-2001, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

I believe Da-Lite also makes an acoustically transparent screen, it doesn't have the advantage of THX certification like the Stewart screen. It does have the advantage of also not having the THX licensing fee. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif If you can't afford a Stewart screen (microperf is *expensive*) and need an acoustically transparent screen a Da-Lite is really the best choice. The other perforated screens are made of woven fibreglass and will not perform as well.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 7 Old 09-29-2001, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill,

Yes, you can get a microperf from Da-lite www.da-lite.com or from vutec www.vutec.com

Also, if you are looking to increase contrast and don't want to pay the outrageous costs for a grayhawk or other high contrast screen you can paint the wall behind a microperf screen flat black. That is, you do not have to paint the whole wall just that area covered by the microperf screen. This works very well with the vutec screen because it moves the screen about 1/4 of an inch from the wall.

Good Luck,
Dave
post #4 of 7 Old 09-29-2001, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your reply. Can anyone tell me how much they want for it and where to buy at a good price. I have been looking for this kind of screen for such a long time, hope these brand prices are the prices I could afford. Thank you guys for showing me the light.

Bill
post #5 of 7 Old 09-29-2001, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

I have reviewed the Da-Lite perf screen here: http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2001/0108.html You can see pictures of the screen and a screen image. I will be installing a 96x54 perf in the next few weeks using the Da-Lite material. My only question is where is the high gain perf material? Does anyone know of any at less than Stewart prices?..

Max Christoffersen www.audioenz.co.nz
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-2001, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

High gain perforated screens? I don't believe any companies other than Stewart have them. That's part of the reason why their screens are so expensive, they make their own material and perforate it themselves so they can do almost anything with regards to gain and perforations. With the exception of Da-Lite (which I believe may perforate the material themselves), the other manufacturers use off-the-shelf material from other applications.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2001, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Vutec, Dalite and Draper all have microperfed screen materials. The problem is that they only have one choice for gain and they are not THX certified. Stewart is the only company that can perf virtually any of their materials, thus giving you the choice of gain.

Thanks!

------------------
Jason Turk
AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com
716-454-1460 ext.204
Jason@avscience.com
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page