AVS Forum banner

Screen Innovations Black Diamond or Slate?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bermise 
#1 ·
Working on setting up a basement family room, and now that I've learned about the Black Diamond and Slate screens, I think it makes sense for me to go with 1 single, fixed screen (vs. additional LCD for daytime viewing). I see great reviews and excitement on the Black Diamond, but for the most part, the reviews on the Slate make it sound like a cheaper version that blocks less light. My question is, is there a situation/application in which the Slate would actually outperform/look better than the Black Diamond or is the Black Diamond always better (but more costly)?

#2 · (Edited)
I guess it depends on your viewing habits for whether a Slate would perform better.

I just wanted to say make sure you also check out the Elite Prime Vision DarkStar 1.4. It has less sparkles and a wider viewing cone. Microlite Screens will have some screens at InfoComm in a couple weeks that claim high gain, an extreme wide viewing angle and minimal sparkles. It's like the perfect combo for media/family rooms if it holds up to its claims and could be a serious game changer for projector screens.

#7 ·
The trade off is less gain than the 1.4 of the BD. So as ambient light is increased, the BD screen becomes the better choice. As ambient light is decreased, the Slate becomes the better choice as long as the projector has enough lumens in reserve to light up the size screen that is wanted, once the lamp dims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.