Stewart Studiotek accuracy for way less money? New screen from Goo Sytems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 2 Post By umr
  • 2 Post By umr

post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Stewart Studiotek accuracy for way less money? New screen from Goo Sytems

EDIT: I have spoken with Goo on the phone - price target is $399 for 108" fixed-frame screen including frame. They implied that they are maybe 8 weeks away from the release.

So ever since reading a screen comparison in which Goo Systems' $299 Gootoob out-measured Stewart's very expensive Studiotek I've been trying to buy some. However they have repeatedly told me that they've sold out of 2014's production run and that the new run is still on the way.

BUT now they're telling me that the new Gootoob will be an entirely new product that incorporates a manufactured frame. As to whether or not this means a traditional stretched fabric frame system - they will not say and refuse to give details.

But if they are about to release a traditional projection screen with a real frame, that is more accurate than Studiotek, for a lot less money - this will be a real innovation.

:fingers crossed:

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum

Last edited by chrisreeves; 06-11-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 639
What gain is it?

Every projector needs to be properly calibrated to a particular screen so it doesn't matter too much. You should be able to achieve rec 709 (within 3 de) and 6500K on any screen (maybe there are a few exceptions).

Very hard to believe though, overall performance, at $400 would match a Stewart.

If you can, perhaps see if you can get a sample over to Jeff Meier to independently test. He's been testing all sorts of screens for a long time and has a very comprehensive report.

http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/...een_report.pdf

post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
EDIT: I have spoken with Goo on the phone - price target is $399 for 108" fixed-frame screen including frame. They implied that they are maybe 8 weeks away from the release.

So ever since reading a screen comparison in which Goo Systems' $299 Gootoob out-measured Stewart's very expensive Studiotek I've been trying to buy some. However they have repeatedly told me that they've sold out of 2014's production run and that the new run is still on the way.

BUT now they're telling me that the new Gootoob will be an entirely new product that incorporates a manufactured frame. As to whether or not this means a traditional stretched fabric frame system - they will not say and refuse to give details.

But if they are about to release a traditional projection screen with a real frame, that is more accurate than Studiotek, for a lot less money - this will be a real innovation.

:fingers crossed:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Who exactly said it measures better - Goo themselves ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Who exactly said it measures better - Goo themselves ?
Chris Heinonen in a screen comparison on The Wirecutter: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projector-screen/

For what it is worth he clearly stated the Studiotek 130 was still his favorite overall screen.

"The GooToob offers the best measured performance of any screen regardless of price but is a huge pain to install and nearly impossible to move."

"How we tested. To test the contenders, every screen was built and tested in my home theater room. I used an Epson 5020UBe projector combined with a Lumagen Radiance 2021 video processor to make the projected image as close to reference accurate as possible. Using a spectrometer and a colorimeter I measured the images off the lens, then off the screen, to see how much of a color shift each screen introduced, and to calculate the gain. (Most of the screens we found had claimed a 1.1 gain, but these numbers are often embellished by the manufacturer, hence the testing.) A variety of content was viewed on each screen to look for sparkles, hot spots, texture, or other issues."

"As far as objective measurements go, we made more than a thousand measurements per screen and have consolidated the data into a table below. We go into further detail in the Lots more data section for those who are interested. While some screens measure better than the Silver Ticket, they are either seven times more expensive or time-intensive DIY projects, which most people aren’t up for.

I calculated a gain for the Silver Ticket of around 0.95 compared to our NIST reference measurement, which is all you need for a modern projector. Though, it should be noted that it falls short of its claimed gain of 1.1. It also had exceptional color accuracy."

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Chris Heinonen in a screen comparison on The Wirecutter: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projector-screen/

For what it is worth he clearly stated the Studiotek 130 was still his favorite overall screen.

"The GooToob offers the best measured performance of any screen regardless of price but is a huge pain to install and nearly impossible to move."

"How we tested. To test the contenders, every screen was built and tested in my home theater room. I used an Epson 5020UBe projector combined with a Lumagen Radiance 2021 video processor to make the projected image as close to reference accurate as possible. Using a spectrometer and a colorimeter I measured the images off the lens, then off the screen, to see how much of a color shift each screen introduced, and to calculate the gain. (Most of the screens we found had claimed a 1.1 gain, but these numbers are often embellished by the manufacturer, hence the testing.) A variety of content was viewed on each screen to look for sparkles, hot spots, texture, or other issues."

"As far as objective measurements go, we made more than a thousand measurements per screen and have consolidated the data into a table below. We go into further detail in the Lots more data section for those who are interested. While some screens measure better than the Silver Ticket, they are either seven times more expensive or time-intensive DIY projects, which most people aren’t up for.

I calculated a gain for the Silver Ticket of around 0.95 compared to our NIST reference measurement, which is all you need for a modern projector. Though, it should be noted that it falls short of its claimed gain of 1.1. It also had exceptional color accuracy."
When more than one guy and these screen testers find he same thing for the Goo screens as the StudioTek 130 G3 -

" Superb color and white field uniformity

- Certified by THX

Certified by the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) "

Then I'll check it out. In the mean time I'll stick with my ST 130 G3. And the Goo doesn't come in an electric screen, does it ?
DavidHir likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #6 of 8 Old 06-17-2015, 10:29 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
What gain is it?

Every projector needs to be properly calibrated to a particular screen so it doesn't matter too much. You should be able to achieve rec 709 (within 3 de) and 6500K on any screen (maybe there are a few exceptions).

Very hard to believe though, overall performance, at $400 would match a Stewart.

If you can, perhaps see if you can get a sample over to Jeff Meier to independently test. He's been testing all sorts of screens for a long time and has a very comprehensive report.

http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/...een_report.pdf
I have some Goo samples I will be testing in about a month along with other screen materials.
DavidHir and mishari84 like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post
I have some Goo samples I will be testing in about a month along with other screen materials.
I'm looking forward to the results !

post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would add there is no single perfect screen material for all applications. Applications for front projection can vary significantly. The more light you have from your projector the less you need screen gain. The darker the furnishings in the room the less you need screen gain. The closer you sit to the screen the more likely you will see problems with the screen material and so on. Screen color is one of the lesser problems with screen materials for most people. Screen artifacts, dim images, low ANSI contrast or low on/off contrast tend to be where the most obvious problems are associated with rooms and screens in front projection after calibration.
wanderer and DavidHir like this.

Last edited by umr; 06-18-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens