General guidance for motorized screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
General guidance for motorized screen

Hey all, trying to gather information about installing an AT screen recessed into the ceiling of my living room. Motorized would be cool and very convenient if not too horribly expensive. Just wondering if there are a few places that might be best to check into for good quality and prices. I'll need to look into projectors as well, and have no clue at this point what to look into as far as price, quality, etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Hey all, trying to gather information about installing an AT screen recessed into the ceiling of my living room. Motorized would be cool and very convenient if not too horribly expensive. Just wondering if there are a few places that might be best to check into for good quality and prices. I'll need to look into projectors as well, and have no clue at this point what to look into as far as price, quality, etc etc.
That there my friend is a big old can O worms you are opening. There is a reason they call HT a hobby.. Not trying to deter your, just preparing you, like audio, room condition play as big a roll as the equipment. Start with a fixed budget and start your research into the projector, projector technology, Light output and screen size effects it, room color etc etc

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 677
No better place to do this research than reading info right here at AVS forum ! I would also try and find an AVS home theater get together or meet up in your area. Seeing other peoples home theaters can give you a first hand look on how to go about building your own ! And you can always call or email us at AV Science for help !

And this book might also help - http://shop.avscience.com/The-Home-T...rse_p_427.html

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4 of 7 Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
That there my friend is a big old can O worms you are opening. There is a reason they call HT a hobby.. Not trying to deter your, just preparing you, like audio, room condition play as big a roll as the equipment. Start with a fixed budget and start your research into the projector, projector technology, Light output and screen size effects it, room color etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
No better place to do this research than reading info right here at AVS forum ! I would also try and find an AVS home theater get together or meet up in your area. Seeing other peoples home theaters can give you a first hand look on how to go about building your own ! And you can always call or email us at AV Science for help !

And this book might also help - http://shop.avscience.com/The-Home-T...rse_p_427.html
Yes it seems there is a lot to learn on this topic, thanks for the suggestions. It would seem that my first hurdle is to see which way the floor joists of my 2nd floor run in order to determine whether this project will be feasible or not. If I can clear that hurdle, I am not opposed to using a manual screen to keep funds directed towards the best projector I can swing.
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Yes it seems there is a lot to learn on this topic, thanks for the suggestions. It would seem that my first hurdle is to see which way the floor joists of my 2nd floor run in order to determine whether this project will be feasible or not. If I can clear that hurdle, I am not opposed to using a manual screen to keep funds directed towards the best projector I can swing.
If the floor joists don't run in a direction allowing recessed screen installation, you could use a surface mount screen and build a decorative soffit in front of it.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Have you looked at Seymour AV? They have very high quality motorized screens at relatively affordable prices.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Have you looked at Seymour AV? They have very high quality motorized screens at relatively affordable prices.
Seymour AV does not make a recessed screen. Though you could build your own box and slotted cover.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page