Has anyone went back to using a smaller projector screen after owning a larger one? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #1 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Has anyone went back to using a smaller projector screen after owning a larger one?

I know everyone says to go as big as your projector lumens or room space will allow. However I want to know has anyone purchased a larger screen, but preferred a smaller screen size.

I've used screens from 80" to 120". Ive projected onto a bare wall up to 140". I sit 13ft away from my screen. I feel the 120" screen is a bit too tall. Ultra big widescreens don't bother me however tall 16:9 screens seem to strain my eyes over time.

I also feel a 100" to 110" screen looks sharper with better clarity in my opinion. So for those who don't have a dedicated home theater with a large amount of space, do any of you prefer a smaller screen for a living room? I know 100" screen is considered weaksauce around here, however I feel it is a great size for a living room or multipurpose space.

Last edited by Swolephile; 07-08-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I really think it depends on the viewing distance period I know for me using 106" @ 10 feet of viewing is probably the sweet spot.. I did try bigger on the wall and it was to much so 120" is outta the question for me. And I prefer a bigger screen for my main viewing
post #3 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 30
We sit around 12 foot away and went back from 120inch to 100inch. We mainly watch 16:9 content. The viewing experience on the white 120inch screen was impressive but somewhat exhausting. So i replaced it with a 100inch screen and we all found it much more comfortable in longer viewing sessions. Nice side effect was that with that smaller sreen i was able to go from 1 Gain down to 0,7 Gain. So in addition we got better blacks and contrast and are very happy with our decision.
post #4 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I would think the only reason to go smaller would be due to a poor choice to start. Listening to the "Go big or Go Home" mantra rather then staying within the guidelines and rules of thumb for seating distance and viewing angle and fl output off the screen. I do recall one thread where someone switched from a Larger HP 2.8 gain screen to a smaller AT screen to maintain brightness and reduced the seating distance. Again maintaining the proper viewing angle so as not to cause eye strain.
As we all know this is personal preference.. Those of us who sit in the center of theater see the folks down in front and wonder???
oneeyeblind likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #5 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolephile View Post
I know everyone says to go as big as your projector lumens or room space will allow. However I want to know has anyone purchased a larger screen, but preferred a smaller screen size.

I've used screens from 80" to 120". Ive projected onto a bare wall up to 140". I sit 15ft away from my screen. I feel the 120" screen is a bit too tall. Ultra big widescreens don't bother me however tall 16:9 screens seem to strain my eyes over time.

I also feel a 100" to 110" screen looks sharper with better clarity in my opinion. So for those who don't have a dedicated home theater with a large amount of space, do any of you prefer a smaller screen for a living room? I know 100" screen is considered weaksauce around here, however I feel it is a great size for a living room or multipurpose space.

Actually, I've been creeping my seating forward slowly over the last 4 years, with the same size screens. What seemed big at first doesn't after awhile. And my wife said she doesn't want the screens to be any larger. So I secretly moved the seats forward over time. That essentially makes the screens seem larger. I currently sit 10.75' from a 122" diagonal 16:9 screen. It's perfect - especially with movies like Avatar. I also have behind it ( both screens are electric ) a 128.2" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. We sit 11.25' from it. As far as your observation on the smaller screen looking sharper, both my screens look equally sharp, but they are both good screen materials ( Stewart Cima Neve for the 16:9, Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 for the 2.35:1 ).

My theater is a dedicated space, but when I had my theater in a great room / living room, I had a 120" diagonal 16:9 electric screen there too. It's big, but not too big IMO.

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
post #6 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you go too the theater to see a movie, do you sit in the front row, middle or all the way in the back. I think the front row seaters are the "Go big or go home crowd" also you are usually at the theater for just one movie. At home you may spend several hours in a row watching movies, sports, playing games etc. This probably affects your experience with various screen size.

DJ
Vischeck Color deficiency goodies: 8.5% of the human population
post #7 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
When you go too the theater to see a movie, do you sit in the front row, middle or all the way in the back. I think the front row seaters are the "Go big or go home crowd" also you are usually at the theater for just one movie. At home you may spend several hours in a row watching movies, sports, playing games etc. This probably affects your experience with various screen size.

Good points. I've concluded that I am a " 1/3 to 1/2 way back " person when comparing to a commercial theater. And, I usually watch one movie, and that's it. It's very rare that I watch something in my theater for longer that 2 1/2 hours ( I have a few 3 hour movies ) and that's it for the night.

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

post #8 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
I like to sit in the very back row in a theater. I absolutely hate sitting in the front row.
post #9 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I've used screens from 80" to 120". Ive projected onto a bare wall up to 140". I sit 15ft away from my screen. I feel the 120" screen is a bit too tall. Ultra big widescreens don't bother me however tall 16:9 screens seem to strain my eyes over time.

I think it also depends on how high the screen is mounted. If its mounted lower, it may fell less overwhelming..
post #10 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Seating distance plays a huge factor and as Craig said, it's like adding inches to the screen when you are talking front projection.

I moved my seat up just a bit as I was actually considering just going with a very slightly larger screen at some point, but now it seems perfect. I used a constant image height set-up (2:35 screen). I sit about 9.5 feet back from a 9 foot wide screen - so I am viewing Blu-ray scope movies at 124" if looked at diagonally in that sense. That is quite large and immerse...any larger would be too much. 16:9 movies are closer to about 100" which is still a pretty decent size from my position but not as immersive.

Last edited by DavidHir; 07-08-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #11 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnr6 View Post
I think it also depends on how high the screen is mounted. If its mounted lower, it may fell less overwhelming..
I completely agree on how high the screen is.

But if you are eyes are closer to the middle of the screen, it will feel more immersive vs the screen higher where you have to look upward. My eyes are approx between the bottom 1/3 and middle of the screen depending on my seating position and if I recline, etc.

Last edited by DavidHir; 07-08-2015 at 01:07 PM.
post #12 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I completely agree on how high the screen is.

But if you are eyes are closer to the middle of the screen, it will feel more immersive vs the screen higher where you have to look upward. My eyes are approx between the bottom 1/3 and middle of the screen depending on my seating position and if I recline, etc.
I always forget to measure my screen height. The 122" diagonal 16:9 screen is 16 3/4" off the floor. The 128.2" diagonal 2.35:1 screen is 19 1/2" off the floor. Putting my eyes about where yours are - between 1/3 and 1/2 way up. My seating doesn't recline ( people tend to fall asleep in recliners I've found - maybe I give them too much wine ).

post #13 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I always forget to measure my screen height. The 122" diagonal 16:9 screen is 16 3/4" off the floor. The 128.2" diagonal 2.35:1 screen is 19 1/2" off the floor. Putting my eyes about where yours are - between 1/3 and 1/2 way up. My seating doesn't recline ( people tend to fall asleep in recliners I've found - maybe I give them too much wine ).
LoL
post #14 of 54 Unread 07-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i went from a 120 in diagonal fixed screen (16x9) to a 100 inch cinescope which is about 87 inch diagonal (16x9). It is a retractable with a masking system so i can use it for both. since my room is little smaller, i dont miss it much. the brightness is better as the screen is smaller but the projector has more output since its new. the image is sharper but again, the projector is one of the new 4k so its not a fair comparison. However, when i visit my friend who has a 130 in screen, it does look awesome
post #15 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmanmojo View Post
i went from a 120 in diagonal fixed screen (16x9) to a 100 inch cinescope which is about 87 inch diagonal (16x9). It is a retractable with a masking system so i can use it for both. since my room is little smaller, i dont miss it much. the brightness is better as the screen is smaller but the projector has more output since its new. the image is sharper but again, the projector is one of the new 4k so its not a fair comparison. However, when i visit my friend who has a 130 in screen, it does look awesome
You are running a Sony 4K projector on a 87" diagonal 16:9 screen? I'll bet that's bright !

post #16 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
You are running a Sony 4K projector on a 87" diagonal 16:9 screen? I'll bet that's bright !
i usually watch movies where i am using the 2.35 so the screen is much larger, however, you are correct that even with low lamp mode, the screen is bright. The screen being a acoustic (seymour/SE EN4k) weave and the proper adjustment on the brightness/contrast, it looks wonderful.
post #17 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I tend to do that too - even without wine. lol

post #18 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I tend to do that too - even without wine. lol

I once has a friend that wanted to come over and watch " Sin City ". We drank too much wine. He passed out early into the movie. I cranked that soundtrack until the room shook. He just snored louder................
DavidHir likes this.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 07-09-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #19 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Just last week I put in a 110" 16x9 screen that I sit about 8 or 9 feet from. I actually moved my sectional back about 18 inches because that was a bit much. I'm still getting used to it when playing Xbox.

I couldn't have gone much wider or higher, so CIH didn't seem to make sense for me. Though if I had done that I think I could have maybe done 10 feet wide instead of 8.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #20 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I once has a friend that wanted to come over and watch " Sin City ". We drank too much wine. He passed out early into the movie. I cranked that soundtrack until the room shook. He just snored louder................
Wow...and it's a great movie that looks and sound incredible!

post #21 of 54 Unread 07-09-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Just last week I put in a 110" 16x9 screen that I sit about 8 or 9 feet from. I actually moved my sectional back about 18 inches because that was a bit much. I'm still getting used to it when playing Xbox.

I couldn't have gone much wider or higher, so CIH didn't seem to make sense for me. Though if I had done that I think I could have maybe done 10 feet wide instead of 8.
I originally planned on going 16x9, but once I got my projector (before ordering screen) I projected on the wall and saw that a 9 foot wide 16x9 image was going to be too large and feel too "IMAX". Eye strain was going to be an issue as we're talking 124" from 9.5 to 10 feet. However, with CIH, scope movies were very large and just as wide, yet not straining - immersive and perfect. Makes sense given our eyes are side by side and not strained by width as much as height. I strictly watch Blu-ray movies on my FP so it worked out nicely. 1:78/1:85 movies are not as large, of course, near 100" but it still feels fairly large and very comfortable. The constant height is nice. I wanted to optimize scope and like the CIH philosophy. It's nice not to bother with masking either. The vertical areas on the sides of 1:78/1:85 movies does not bother me at all. Horizontal bars would.

post #22 of 54 Unread 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Home Theater Lover!

It's always a hard decision on what aspect ratio to go with. Which is why I gave up and got one of each !

post #23 of 54 Unread 08-03-2015, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm ready to order a Elite Screens Aeon screen with led kit today. I guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is when it comes to the subject of this thread. Though I am torn becasue the price difference between a 100" Aeon screen and a 120" Aeon screen is only $100.

This decision would be so much easier if the price difference between the two was more substantial. However the current Silver Ticket 120" screen I have now is a great screen in my opinion, however I feel like my eyes get tire after 3 or more hours of tv/movie watching on it.

My couch is barely 13 feet away from the screen. I feel like a 100" screen would be brighter, have less strain on my future projector since it will not need to fill such a big screen, and show a sharper image.

I like 120" or larger 2:39 widescreens. They give a true cinema at home experience. However a 120" 16:9 screen does not give me the home cinema experience. It just feels like a really tall box. The screen height of a 120", 16:9 screen seems to bother me eyes. However a 127" 2:39 widescreen which is the same height as a 100" screen was perfect for my eyes.

I would be fine with a 110" aeon screen but there are no options for one with Cinegrey 3D from Elite Screens. So it's looking like I will be pulling the trigger on the 100" Aeon Cinegrey 3d screen this week. I hope the size is fine and I don't regret not going bigger.

Pro Cinema Speaker Advocate

AVS Forum Guinea Pig

Hz So Good

Last edited by Swolephile; 08-03-2015 at 08:14 PM.
post #24 of 54 Unread 08-03-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

I would be fine with a 110" screen but there are no options for one with Cinegrey 3D from Elite Screens. So it's looking like I will be pulling the trigger on the 100" Cinegrey 3d screen this week. I hope the size is fine and I don't regret not going bigger.
I am sure you can get 110" call AVS and get a quote. Amazon seller just buy the popular models the manufacture will make whatever you want for very little price difference than the stock sizes.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #25 of 54 Unread 08-03-2015, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
I am sure you can get 110" call AVS and get a quote. Amazon seller just buy the popular models the manufacture will make whatever you want for very little price difference than the stock sizes.
I went to the Elite Screens webpage and looked at the sized available for the Aeon screen. It did not list 110" as one of the available sizes. But I guess it's worth a shot to call around to see if I can get one custom made at 110". Thanks for the advice.

AVS Forum Guinea Pig

Hz So Good
post #26 of 54 Unread 08-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I went to the Elite Screens webpage and looked at the sized available for the Aeon screen. It did not list 110" as one of the available sizes. But I guess it's worth a shot to call around to see if I can get one custom made at 110". Thanks for the advice.
You wouldn't need a custom. Elite Screens make a 110", it's just not asked for very often so they are not as easy to find. Here's a link to one:

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...WH2-77588.html

Elite Screens lists it on their website as part number AR110WH2:
http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...s#4-dimensions

post #27 of 54 Unread 08-04-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MediaGuy View Post
You wouldn't need a custom. Elite Screens make a 110", it's just not asked for very often so they are not as easy to find. Here's a link to one:

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/...WH2-77588.html

Elite Screens lists it on their website as part number AR110WH2:
http://www.elitescreens.com/index.ph...s#4-dimensions

I saw the 110" white Aeon on their website last week. However I did not see a 110" for the hd3 material. Did I miss it?

Also, thank you for taking the time to help me.

AVS Forum Guinea Pig

Hz So Good

Last edited by Swolephile; 08-04-2015 at 12:55 PM.
post #28 of 54 Unread 08-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I saw the 110" white Aeon on their website last week. However I did not see a 110" for the hd3 material. Did I miss it?
Ah Ha! You're correct! I do not see any listed for HD3 at 110". I would give them a call if I were you to see if they make one.
post #29 of 54 Unread 08-04-2015, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I will call them tomorrow to see if they will offer the 110" with hd3 material.

AVS Forum Guinea Pig

Hz So Good
post #30 of 54 Unread 08-08-2015, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I called a rep at Elite Screens and asked about a 110" Aeon screen with Cinegrey 3d material. She said that size will not be available with the Cinegrey 3D. However it appears their website has been updated and its now showing a 110" size with Cinegrey 3d on their product size chart. I finally sold my screen so I guess I just have to be a bit more patient. I would definitely love a 110" option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread