Screen that shines - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2015, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen that shines

I currently have a Da-Lite matte-white pull down screen. It's bright white and I believe it to be 1.0 reflectivity. It doesn't have any coatings, etc. It's a good screen and has served me well over the years.

However, one thing that I miss from the real movie theater is when the bright areas of the picture shine back at me. It's almost a metallic look, like something printed on metal foil. It sparkles and shimmers. It makes the movie look surreal, larger than life. I know it's a distortion of the image in a way, but I like it. This does not happen on my screen at home, it's just white.

What causes this effect? If I am looking to replicate it, what do I want in a screen (I assume it's some kind of special coating or surface)? Is it available on a pull-down screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkalamari View Post
I currently have a Da-Lite matte-white pull down screen. It's bright white and I believe it to be 1.0 reflectivity. It doesn't have any coatings, etc. It's a good screen and has served me well over the years.

However, one thing that I miss from the real movie theater is when the bright areas of the picture shine back at me. It's almost a metallic look, like something printed on metal foil. It sparkles and shimmers. It makes the movie look surreal, larger than life. I know it's a distortion of the image in a way, but I like it. This does not happen on my screen at home, it's just white.

What causes this effect? If I am looking to replicate it, what do I want in a screen (I assume it's some kind of special coating or surface)? Is it available on a pull-down screen?

Screens with gain or silver screens can give you this effect - most would consider it an artifact. Get some screen samples and test them with your projector for desired effect ! Pull down screens will have less choices material wise than either fixed or tensioned electric screens however.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3 of 6 Old 07-14-2015, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Thanks!
Shoot me an email and I can send you some screen samples too.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

The one screen I've seen in action that gave off that silvery sparkle appearance was the Elite Starbright 7. It was a terrific large venue screen (when viewed from 20 feet of more) but had way too narrow a sweet spot for home theater use. This type of screen made Black and White movies look beautiful. Not everyone's cup of tea, but definitely a unique look. I saw this screen in action something like 6 or 7 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's not sold anymore, but you might find one used. (Warning: The screen was stiff like aluminum foil and can crease easily. A lot of care was needed in setting it up.)
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting the impression from above that the movie theater is probably using a high-gain screen to keep the image bright on their huge screen, and thus this artifact is born (which I happen to like). At home, when I'm sitting just a few feet from the screen with a plenty-bright projector, it would probably not work out the way I have imagined it, and I should just let this go before I waste a lot of tome and money. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens