AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally saw Goo in action

7K views 48 replies 20 participants last post by  KBK 
#1 ·
I was in Kingston last week and stopped into local audio store "Just Hi Fi" and they were demoing a Yamaha DLP with some B/W speakers. They were using a dalite screen. It looked like a 1 or 1.3 gain screen to me but I might be off. Now the good part; leaning against the screen is two pieces of hardboard the the picture is also on. Both are better than the dalite. One is significantly brighter and still has more punch,shows more detail and appears to have more contrast. The salesman told me that it was goo and this one was CRT version. The other piece of wood was covered in the digital goo. The picture was so much better with far better details,much better apparent contrast and overall picture quality that it was as if a better projector was projecting just on that piece of goo painted hardboard. I have been following this forum for a while now and have been interested in this product. I have been close to ordering a couple of times but everytime the owner of the goo company (name slips my mind at the moment) answered someones email he would somehow push me farther away from ordering. I have now seen the stuff for myself. I was told it was applied with a roller, by someone with no special skills. The stuff is for real and is so far ahead of the many painted screens I have made with most of the paints that were commended here and are available at local stores that I will never even think about painting another screen with anything but this stuff. Take this review for what it is;just an enthusiast who stumbled on a product that amazed him. But I highly recommend that anyone close enough stop by Just Hi Fi and see for yourself. later mp

See less See more
#3 ·
Bad editing skills at the keyboard? Is it my breath? Or that I was typing while wearing just underwear?

I am that guy, with 'no special skills'.

Shoulda went into other other HT room. The one with the full Linn System. It was a full wall GooScreen, running with the new NEC HT1000. Now THAT is good looking. It has custom acoustics, as well. It was one of our sprayed custom wall surfaces. We have given up on that for the moment...even though it is the best surface we can possibly make. It's just too difficult to deal with shipping of the finished product.

call me and speak on the phone. emails ar difficult to deal with and my humor comes off wrong....

As a matter of fact, I was in the office at 10pm tonight and the phone rang. I was making copies of A few CD covers on the $50K color printer (don't tell anyone!). I sold a batch of CRT Goo to a Audio Mastering Engineer. We eneded up talking for an hour.

#4 ·
Ken,

What happened to your website where you could see pricing and order product? Is the digital gray/grey mix still available?

Thanks...

#5 ·
KBK,

With the great black levels on the HT1000, are you recommending the CRT goo for that projector? Or the digital goo? At one point it seems that you sold the last of one style of CRT goo, but I'm not sure if you had another version.

Just curious. I don't have an HT1000 at this point.

--Darin

#6 ·
The website works fine. I guess we will have to add explanatory text. In the meantime...

Click On The Logo It is the access point for the website.

CRT Goo works fine with the HT1000, but... the Grey does well too. Hmmm. I'm getting a Infocus X1 in the first week of Jan/2003,a nd will be playing with it extensively. It has a similar lumen rating compared to the HT1000,and the CR is not that far off comparatively speaking. I will be comparing the X1 on both surfaces.

I WILL be doing a FULL series of tests (sonic spectrum, dba, color, CR, build quality analysis, etc.).on the X1, and I may post the results. But, only if I feel they are accurate. No need to inappropriately dis' a manufacturer via my error.

The goo that is no longer available, is the ORIGINAL High Gain CRT Goo. It was specifically for high gain CRT apps, via controlled spraying techniques, for the professional or experienced spray equipment users.

The reason I sometimes seem to push people away from purchasing, is because I do not follow the sales model, which is based on psychological analysis of people's behavioral patterns. I go for human interaction, not separating you from your money...at the same time I engage your sense of comfort by mothering you through a purchase.

I express options to you, which can heighten the confusion, not clear it up. I like to provide answers for you, but I like you to do your OWN thinking. SO, I place a multi-pronged solution in front of you, and ask you to choose. If you throw it back at me, I will clarify the position of each solution in detail, and then sort of try and get you to think about it again. If that elicits the same level of confusion, then I will explain and then proffer some suitable solutions, all the while explaining EXACTLY why those particular solutions. Then, I will choose from those solutions, explaining the pros and cons of each.

I just like the customer to know why something is done or chosen, not just that it has been chosen. To explain the choice to a customer in an email is horrendously difficult and time consuming, as each call or email is personally handled, NOT responded to in a 'draft' manner. Not one single automated response has ever been sent out by me. This sort of clarity and interaction cannot even begin to take place in an email.

Each customer is greeted personally, and answered personally..but it can be a very taxing exercise, if the questions they pose are properly answered.

So, when you call, I do not just answer your questions about what to buy, I try to educate you as fully as Ii can about screens, (depending on the feel I get from you) so the decision makes perfect sense, for all the right reasons, and for the reasons that you personally have at that time, and possibly into the future. All bases must be covered. So, you can see why I prefer the phone over emails.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
I'm getting a Infocus X1 in the first week of Jan/2003,a nd will be playing with it extensively. It has a similar lumen rating compared to the HT1000,and the CR is not that far off comparatively speaking. I will be comparing the X1 on both surfaces.
Ken,

Just wanted to make sure that you know about the issue with the X1 not syncing correctly if you blackout the white section, in case you missed it. I know you do a lot of mods, but I'm not sure if this is going to be your own projector that you will be free to modify.

--Darin

#8 ·
That won't be problem. I am sure I'll find a way around that in few seconds. I usually spend my time on the phone showing people how to choose a projector, undrstand screens, build a HTPC, to wire an audio system, to choose components, get to good acoustics, speaker set up, etc. Gawd... . Usually less than half the call has anything to do with our product.

People get off the phone with me because their brain hurts. "Excuse me, I have to go now, my brain is full".

#9 ·
Well I cant be sure but I bet it was the underwear thing. Sorry about the no special skills thing Ken but the salesman said someone just dropped off a can and someone in the store painted the board. I wish I had made it to the next room too. Not sure how I missed it but maybe it had something to do with the fact that I went to Kingston to finish my Christmas shopping. Big family,hadn't bought a present,spent the best part of the morning in Just Hi Fi. I think it was quilt or maybe panic that kept me out the the last room. Anyway I saw enough. You have some good goo there. I started out by wanting to write a good review of your product and you pick up on some confusion I had with a couple of your responces. Hmm with ability like that mabe I could work for your sales dept. (joke) latermp

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
The website works fine. I guess we will have to add explanatory text. In the meantime...

Click On The Logo It is the access point for the website.

Actually the problem I had was clicking the logo too fast and missing the text that says 'Site currently in development'. Having not seen that is why I wondered where the pricing and ordering pages had gone from the old site...

#11 ·
Excellent to hear about you personal experiance with this product. I have been here in the thread, have always wondered if it was worth the money. Sounds like it is. I have a peice of parkland plastic I want to cover. Also, I have a InFocus 110.

Ken, you can expect a call or email from me soon... I know, I know, you said you prefer phone calls due to your lenghty discussions... However I am a simple person, I know nothing about gain and all that techno talk. I simply want a great picture. ;)

#12 ·
The website is in the middle of being changed, so emailing is the best thing at this time for getting results, or calling directly.

As for the no special skills thing, I don't think I am a spectcaular painter, So it applies to me. Pun intended.

The review is appreciated, thank you.

We work(ed) hard to get the product to perform like it does. No time to stop....

#13 ·
To give you an idea how little dealers want our product to *even exist*, even though it performs in the same category as the best available...what can you expect? How can a dealer make $400+ profit on a $100 container of coating material?

A dealership has been offered to a "well known HT uhm..concern" on numerous occasions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zero response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#14 ·
"Excuse me, I have to go now, my brain is full".

That is just about how I felt the other day when I ordered my can of goo. I have been reading about it for some time now and finally decided that it was time to order.

I also tried to twist Ken's arm and have him tweak my LT-150 like he did for his neighbor, but no luck on that one. Maybe I will just have to save my pennies for the new projector he is thinking of building.

#16 ·
Call 1-888-541-0299. direct. If that doesn't work in australia, try 1-613-541-0299. The location is in Canada, at -5 GMT hours time zone. The website is: www.goosystems.com .

#19 ·
Thank you to both Ken and mandarax for all you info.....

Now my next question is has anyone used "GOO" on MDF Board????? as I am proposing when I do actually get my hands on some to use it on this board (about 16mm thick).

if not what is the best product to use to go with the "GOO"

Any help will be great.

Regards

Mic31

#21 ·
I personally used 7 layers on my plywood, although it was baltic birch and not MDF. MDF is a good choice, however, since it is very flat.

1 - sealant

2 - sealant

3 - goo basecoat

4 - goo basecoat

5 - goo topcoat

6 - goo topcoat

7 - goo topcoat

The only reason for the 7th layer was to fix some imperfections in the 6th layer. A bug and some large lint had fallen into the paint and I was not happy with it, so I removed the bug and gently sanded the lint, then painted it again. Now it is perfect. Unfortunately I bumped the screen during transport from garage to HT room and it looks like it just "polished" that spot slightly. I hope it won't show up when I get the projector next week.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by P Nelsen
I personally used 7 layers on my plywood, although it was baltic birch and not MDF. MDF is a good choice, however, since it is very flat.

1 - sealant

2 - sealant

3 - goo basecoat

4 - goo basecoat

5 - goo topcoat

6 - goo topcoat

7 - goo topcoat

The only reason for the 7th layer was to fix some imperfections in the 6th layer. A bug and some large lint had fallen into the paint and I was not happy with it, so I removed the bug and gently sanded the lint, then painted it again. Now it is perfect. Unfortunately I bumped the screen during transport from garage to HT room and it looks like it just "polished" that spot slightly. I hope it won't show up when I get the projector next week.
How much Goo did you do? I'm about to Goo a 4x8 sheet of MDF, how much should I get? I don't mind being a bit over vs. a bit short.

Thanks,

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.