DA-LITE HD Progressive build quality? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-18-2015, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 41
DA-LITE HD Progressive build quality?

Hi all,
I currently have a Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 screen that I got a few years ago and the screen does not appear to have aged well.

I have:
-Vertical striations in several areas of the screen
-Upper right corner has plasticizer leeching out (oil spot)

And, overall as I watch more on it over these past few years I am not happy with the heavy texture and sheen it has visible when panning in moderately bright scenes.

So on the whole, it is serviceable but has not been a great screen.

Luckily, I can easily adapt a DA-LITE HD PROGRESSIVE 0.9 screen to the same frame without breaking the bank. That would take care of the texture and sheen. But I am concerned about the build quality... Will this screen hold up over time or have the same issues my Cinema Vision had? Are vertical striations and the leeching plasticizers an issue with the HD PROGRESSIVE 0.9 as well?

The other option would be a Studiotek 100 but it would be much more expensive and I would have to remount the entire frame which would be a giant PITA.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I did own the HD Pro 0.9 for a brief period of time, so I cannot stay for certain since it was for such a short time as I ended up going with the Stewart ST100. But, I didn't see anything about the surface of the material that would make me concerned about those things. The material is very smooth and there are a few sparklies in it, but I doubt those would cause issues over time. I have not read of many issues with the HD pro materials in general. As you probably know, it's technically a grey screen but does not look like one at all. It looks closer to white with an ever so slight blue tint vs grey. I think you'll be very happy with it so long your projector has sufficient light output and the environment is ideal for it. Your 1.3 gain screen (if that is a true gain) will be far, far brighter.

Last edited by DavidHir; 07-19-2015 at 08:56 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Hi all,
I currently have a Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 screen that I got a few years ago and the screen does not appear to have aged well.

I have:

And, overall as I watch more on it over these past few years I am not happy with the heavy texture and sheen it has visible when panning in moderately bright scenes.

Luckily, I can easily adapt a DA-LITE HD PROGRESSIVE 0.9 screen to the same frame without breaking the bank. That would take care of the texture and sheen. But I am concerned about the build quality... Will this screen hold up over time or have the same issues my Cinema Vision had? Are vertical striations and the leeching plasticizers an issue with the HD PROGRESSIVE 0.9 as well?

The other option would be a Studiotek 100 but it would be much more expensive and I would have to remount the entire frame which would be a giant PITA.

Thoughts?

I had a High Contrast Cinema Vision screen that I could see the same vertical screen texture on. not sure if that got worse with age or I just noticed it more as I got better and brighter projectors, and moved my seating closer. I haven't heard of many problems with the HD pro material myself.

AV Science is a Da Lite dealer - shoot us an email and maybe we can help.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Hi all,

I have:

Thoughts?
Earlier versions of Cinema Vision also seemed to yellow over time. Current versions of Cinema Vision seem to do better. Have not heard of that happening with HD Pro.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page