Screen Innovations Slate or Black Diamond performance with Sony VW40ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By speed_kills
post #1 of 5 Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Screen Innovations Slate or Black Diamond performance with Sony VW40ES

Hello,

I'm planning to set up a projector and 5.1 system in a personal den. I ordered a Sony VW40ES as I read some good reviews about it and price is reasonable.

As this is not a dedicated movie room, my original plan was a 60" HDTV and 100" motorized screen combination. The only purpose of the TV is for days when I'd like to watch sports or news while working on my desk. Then of course there will be days when the room is dark for movies.

However, I find the TV a bit redundant if only for this purpose so upon further research, I read about Screen Innovations Slate and Black Diamond which I find quite interesting. So, I'm thinking to do a fixed screen instead as I can save a bit of money by not having to install a TV and buy a more expensive motorized screen.

I'm curious, any Sony VW40ES owners using either SI's Slate or BD? How do you find performance in a lighted room? I understand that Slate is a newer material and priced less. Also, it seems that the Sony performs well in ambient light conditions based on some reviews.

Is it worth going for the BD instead of Slate? Or will Slate give a satisfying enough performance in a room with some lights and light colored walls? Any savings means that I can have add some budget for basic room treatment.

How is Slate or BD screen durability? With the fixed screen plan, I'm a little worried as I have a 1 year old toddler who might scratch the screen material. Although I'll probably keep him allow him access to the room only when I'm around the house.

Also, is it better to go for 0.8 gain for either series? Or should I get the 1.4 for BD or 1.2 for Slate instead? I shouldn't have problems with room depth as I can mount the projector at least 1.5x away vs screen width.

My main priority is a satisfying dark room movie performance and second priority is to have a "viewable" big TV experience with some lights on.

I'm from overseas and have to ship the screens so it's difficult to physically check so I will need to rely on online research to make the decision.

Thanks so much!
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
What is wall and ceiling color?
100" screen?
What is room size and throw distance available?
What about windows in the room and are they covered?

Give us a call and we can go over all of this with you and work out, what is the best solution for your room. We can also provide pricing.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2015, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
What is wall and ceiling color?
100" screen?
What is room size and throw distance available?
What about windows in the room and are they covered?

Give us a call and we can go over all of this with you and work out, what is the best solution for your room. We can also provide pricing.
Hi Mike,

Room or the house is a new build so no definite colors yet. But I'm looking at putting some acoustic treatment and i like a walls with wood look cladding.

Room size is 5.75 meters deep and 4.7 meters wide. Sitting position is about 3 meters from the screen so I'm considering a 100" screen either fixed (if slate/BD can work well in ambient light conditions) or motorized (if normal white, then with an HDTV behind).

Max throw distance is probably until 4.5 meters away as I have a desk behind the movie viewing position.

There's a small 0.8m window on one side of the room but can be covered completely.

I'm on the other side of the globe so any online advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
100" is not a bad size for that viewing distance, though I would probably go with 106". I would think the 0.8 gain Slate in that size with that projector would work well.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
100" is not a bad size for that viewing distance, though I would probably go with 106". I would think the 0.8 gain Slate in that size with that projector would work well.
I see, ok, I'll explore in that direction. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page