Home Theater Basement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old Today, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Home Theater Basement

As the title serves, I am remodeling my basement into a home theater. More like finishing it. It is bare concrete walls right now so it'll be a good before and after comparison.

With that said.. I'm having a very difficult time deciding on screen size, material and placement. I've been lurking and reading others' posts and still confused. I dont want to waste any money on testing different screens and sizes so asking for help here.

Projector: Optoma GT1080 short throw
Dimensions: 30ftx40ftx8ftH

Needed the short throw because there is duct work in the basement from the central air so placement of a standard was almost not going to happen without extensive modification. The short throw would be perfect and almost hidden between the screen and the duct.

As far as screen material goes, Ive called carls and they told me flexiwhite. On the interwebs it appears the grey would be better suited for larger screen and deeper blacks? a 120 inch screen on a regular flat white wall the light is intense off this thing. I can read a book during a movie with the lights bouncing off the walls from this.

I'm guessing the blacks dont appear as black as they should because theyre being washed out from bouncing light.

Anyway I'm thinking out loud too much now. What would you guys recommend as far as material for a DIY? BOC/Flexwhite with mudd paint, grey? And also which size should I go with on a 8ft tall ceiling? Was checking out Silver Ticket white screen 139" too. Too many variables going on. Didnt think it would of been so time consuming, but I'm a tinkerer so I dont mind as long as I can fill my expectations.