AVS Forum banner

Falcon Horizon AT versus Seymour XD AT

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ddigler 
#1 ·
For a bat cave, how does Falcon Horizon AT compare to Seymour XD AT? And, are there any other good options?

Thank you,
Rick

#2 ·
Have you gotten samples of both? Strongly recommended you call them up and see for yourself, but the Seymor XD has a more noticeable weave to it, while the Falcon Horizon is much finer. Best I can say is its like comparing nylon/plastic shade material (XD) to spandex (Horizon). You should also look at the Falcon Vision (original material) which is more similar to the XD and the Seymor UF, closer to the Horizon.

#3 ·
Along with the video, you need to look at audio results.

#5 ·
i can not comment about the Falcon, but the Seymour Screen excellence enlightor 4k is a fine weave that is AT, 4k ready and weave that is very fine and can not see from 6 ft. Like any thin, fine weave AT screen, there is light loss, but the black backing eliminates the halo effect. As long as your projector has the lumens, the screen will deliver excellent results. I have been very pleased with it so far.

#7 ·
My subjective perspective from looking at large samples side by side...

The XD indeed has a more noticeable weave, but you have to try hard to see it at anything other than point blank distances. You have to start close to the screen, find the weave... then back up and figure out where you lose it. I lose it around 6 feet unless the screen is a solid color. (I have better than 20/20 vision uncorrected.) You lose it on both Falcon screens sooner, but I don't think it's a big deal.

The XD has more gain than both the Falcon HD and the Horizon (contrary to the report linked to above). It is just a bit more than the Falcon HD and an easily noticeable amount more than the Horizon. The XD also picks up more ambient light, so if the room walls are light, the blacks are not as black. In a "bat cave", that won't matter and depending on the size screen you use the gain would perhaps let you run the projector lamp on a lower setting for longer life. The Centerstage UF has the least gain of the 4 samples I have.

The XD and HD are similar ... thicker, with an almost vinyl like feel... as if you could scrub them with Windex and they would be fine.

The Centerstage UF and the Horizon are similar and feel more like cloth - like you could run them through the laundry.

Visually, if I bought any of the four I would have a great screen... it's fun agonizing over the choice though.

I have not attempted to test audio properties. I will probably have to rely on the test linked to above for that. (though it shows that the Falcon has more gain than the XD and that is not the case with the samples I have.)

#8 ·
Feedback from calibrators or knowledgeable enthusiasts would be very much appreciated,

Yes, an old sound test put the Seymour XD as the only one recommended for sound with the issue of behind at least 10-12 ft from the screen to not see patterns.

Now Falcon released a new vision Horizon AT material. What about the options available for both manufacturer? what about their frames? Is the quality equivalent? is the price differences only due to options availability?

Thanks in advance,

#9 ·
Trying to bump this thing up for more comments. @PerryH, I found your input especially insightful. What did you end up going with?

I am in the process of selecting a DIY AT screen material for my fully light controlled HT in the works. (2.35 140" diag)

Any other thoughts from those who have built DIY AT screens?

#11 ·
#12 ·
I read the article linked above; from reading down through the comments in this thread it looked as if there were some holes in the info presented in the article which is why I am seeking more info. I loved the article and found it extremely helpful for the record.

Anyway David thanks for the link! I will start reading through that one as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.