Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Screen on T-legs?

I'm looking for a good quality, freestanding screen for my projector setup. This one by Draper is almost exactly what I imagined. Does someone else make something similar for a better price? I don't really want to drop $1600+ for this thing.

http://www.draperinc.com/projections...662/focalpoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I put together a temporary front projector setup a couple years ago. BenQ W1080ST paired with a ProjectoScreen120HD. The screen comes folded which was my only complaint. Took a number of months before the creases completely smoothed themselves out. Took a hair dryer to some of the more egregious creases. Just had to be careful not to damage the screen material in the process. The screen material was also quite challenging to snap on to the frame. Set mine out in the sun to warm it up a bit first which helped.

The screen straddled my front stage perfectly. The screen material snaps on to the front of the frame. The frame itself requires no assembly. Coolest thing. You just unfold it, the various joints lock in place. See below.

That being said, I've since moved to a new home. Want to go CIH, but can't afford to right now. Decided to just stick with my portable setup for a while holding off on all the other upgrades as well though I do plan to paint the ceiling and side walls this month in an effort to reduce the light reflections bouncing back on to the screen. Will be tripping out the front wall with black velvet as well in addition to creating some masking panels for scope content. Also still have to run the cables for my fronts up through the front wall into the attic and down to the other side of the house where all my equipment resides. Tackling that this weekend. In any event, the ceiling in my living room was about a 1/2 inch too low for the stand, so I mounted the screen to the wall instead using picture hanging cleats I purchased from Walmart here. Worked out beautifully. See below.

Front Stage:

Surrounds:

And as you can see, the screen itself produces a breathtaking image. :-P

Last edited by Low Profile; 01-08-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks good, thanks! That's the design I want, but I think the size is too big for my current room. I ended up going with a Da-lite Picture King, which is a tripod screen, but hopefully it works out for now.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
Looks good, thanks! That's the design I want, but I think the size is too big for my current room. I ended up going with a Da-lite Picture King, which is a tripod screen, but hopefully it works out for now.
Good deal. Hope it works out for you as well. Have a great weekend!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, you too!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I'm back to square one. I just had to return my Da-lite Picture King because it was producing moire. Doesn't anyone make a fixed frame screen that can be mounted to a stand? Could I just buy a fixed frame screen and build a couple of T-leg stands out of wood or something?

The stand mentioned in the post above would be great, but it's too big. I need something like that, but 92" diagonal.

Here's a shot of the problem with my Da-lite:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMT_2066.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	1174466  
Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I just ordered the Elite Yardmaster 2. It has HD 4k material, so hopefully it plays better with my PJ. I'm a little scared to try Elite again after my bad experience with their tripod model, but we'll see. For $150, it's worth a shot. I didn't think it would be so hard to find a screen in this style; I guess everyone just mounts screens on their wall. Keeping my fingers crossed that third times a charm, LOL.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Any of the Stewart fixed screens can come with T-legs. I think Da-lite, Vutec, Draper, etc. will do the same . The fixed screens are made to keep the material tensioned and will give better picture quality. The downside is they take longer to assemble and disassemble than portable screens and their screen material needs to be rolled up and not folded so they don't get creases.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I didn’t see you had this thread also. Sounds like things are a go!

Bud
Old 01-09-2016, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Any of the Stewart fixed screens can come with T-legs. I think Da-lite, Vutec, Draper, etc. will do the same . The fixed screens are made to keep the material tensioned and will give better picture quality. The downside is they take longer to assemble and disassemble than portable screens and their screen material needs to be rolled up and not folded so they don't get creases.
This new screen I ordered today sounds similar, and it's tensioned, so I have high hopes Disassembly is no biggie, since once I set it up in my living room, it's staying there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I didn’t see you had this thread also. Sounds like things are a go!
I hope so!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Yardmaster arrived, and the design is exactly what I wanted, but as expected, there are some pretty severe creases in several spots. I haven't tested it yet with the projector to see if these lines are visible, but I find it hard to believe I won't see them. Will these go away with time? I tried applying some low heat to the back of the screen, and it might've helped slightly. Who's the genius that decided folding the screen into a tiny, little square would be a wise idea?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm also wondering if I bought a fixed-frame screen, if I could mount it to the Yardmaster's frame instead of the wall? The frame is similar to what's pictured in the posts above. Here's a link:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/AccuS...4/Screen/27868

As long as the frame could withstand the weight, I don't see why this wouldn't work. I might have to attach the brackets to the frame with nuts and bolts, but otherwise, I can't foresee problems.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
I'm also wondering if I bought a fixed-frame screen, if I could mount it to the Yardmaster's frame instead of the wall?
The Silver Ticket fixed frame screen uses 2 pairs of keyhole brackets for wall mounting. You should be able to mount them on solid stands as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement