The High-Gain/Exotic Screen Review - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can't really cant say anything more about the high power or if it meets your needs except what's in my review. It's Retroreflective, It's High Gain and it's an amazing screen.

Do some searches to research this further

Screen Reviews

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the highpower on suggestions... haven't regreted it yet!... I wish they made them larger in fact! 106" was the max for the manual contour.

Possible downsides... Sitting outside 10-15 degrees of the center you notice a light drop, to about 1:1, but stays pretty steady after that. With one row of seating at ~13ft it gives about 4 people max full brightness viewing if squeezed in.

Is it bright? I have an AE700 and when car lights flash into the camera from a movie I flinch(Ronin comes to mind)

It's so britght the damn bugs congregate on it and ruin it if you don't brush them off before rolling it up!
post #153 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 AM

Tryg
I've been bouncing between a HP and 2500, Do you think the silverstar would be a better option if so where do I purchase it from???

Mitsubishi HC 3000
ceiling mount 7'
mounted 14 feet back
seating at 12 and 17'

would like a 119" diagonal screen

Thanks! Frank
post #154 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, these posts are getting silly

I'm thinking I should get a Suburban or Hummer. Do you think I should get a Corvette?

Screen Reviews

post #155 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

Ok, these posts are getting silly

I'm thinking I should get a Suburban or Hummer. Do you think I should get a Corvette?

I think the FJ Cruiser would be a good choice...

Actually, your problem is that you have done so much testing and research that you are pretty much the screen guru here. The problem of fame...

I've tried sorting through a lot of the info and it is a bit overwhelming. Thing is with a screen, it's one of those purchases that you will make not very often. So we want to get it right. Most people don't have the luxury of changing screens often. Plus, since they're not returnable that adds another variable that mucks up the process. Any companies out there give you a two week trial period? Shoot, they let you test drive a car, why not a screen?
post #156 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM

Tryg
Sorry, just want your imput
Thanks anyway!
post #157 of 201 Old 09-01-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmtb View Post

I think the FJ
Actually, your problem is that you have done so much testing and research that you are pretty much the screen guru here. The problem of fame...

Actually the problem goes something like this. I write 2 + 2 = 4. Then I get 10 PMs a day that say "I read your write up.... does 2 + 2 = 4?"

I love to help people, but please help me by READING the review (and comments) then ask a question that is specific to your situation.

fsamuell I will PM my cell # if you would like to talk to me about your situation. Otherwise my standard answer applies

buy the High Power

Screen Reviews

post #158 of 201 Old 09-14-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTAVE View Post

I got the highpower on suggestions... haven't regreted it yet!... I wish they made them larger in fact! 106" was the max for the manual contour.

Possible downsides... Sitting outside 10-15 degrees of the center you notice a light drop, to about 1:1, but stays pretty steady after that. With one row of seating at ~13ft it gives about 4 people max full brightness viewing if squeezed in.

Is it bright? I have an AE700 and when car lights flash into the camera from a movie I flinch(Ronin comes to mind)

It's so britght the damn bugs congregate on it and ruin it if you don't brush them off before rolling it up!

I have not noticed that dramatic of a drop off, in fact I have been surprised at how little the brighness changes as you move around the room. AE900 wall mounted about 25% below the top of the screen. Biggest model c I could get 139" wide, room is 16x22, two rows of seating plus a few bean bags for the kids.

thanks for the screen review!

Dave
post #159 of 201 Old 10-10-2006, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsamuell View Post

Tryg
I've been bouncing between a HP and 2500, Do you think the silverstar would be a better option if so where do I purchase it from???

Mitsubishi HC 3000
ceiling mount 7'
mounted 14 feet back
seating at 12 and 17'

would like a 119" diagonal screen

Thanks! Frank

I'm not considering the Silverstar, however, my set-up will be very similar and I have narrowed my choices to the HP and 2500 since I will be dealing with a moderate amount of ambient light. Here are the planned details:

Panasonic AX100
Ceiling mount 7' (assume lens will be at about 6'6")
Mounted 11 feet back
Main seating at 13 feet, some on floor at 9ft and others standing around pool table and bar at 15 - 25 feet.
Room width is 13 feet (in back of room it opens to the sides, think of a T shape with the screen at the bottom of the T).
Considering a 92inch screen - 106 inch screen.

I haven't found a lot on the M2500, would it be better than the HP for the different viewing heights or would it hotspot too much with the projector so close?
post #160 of 201 Old 10-12-2006, 03:09 PM

I have the 106" M2500. Ceiling mounted IN76, and I like it a lot. I can get the room real dark, painted dark red walls, but I also like to watch games, etc.. with the sconces on, so I can see the wings when I am eating. It's bright enough with the lights rom the side on full, and no I don't see any hot spotting. Too be honest I do want it just a little brighter and my plan is to upgrade to a Silverstar probably in a year or so.

Seriously everyone who has seen it, likes it a lot, and noone has complained about RB, hotspots, etc.... And to be honest I look for them and don't see it.
post #161 of 201 Old 10-29-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dont expect much more brightness from the Silverstar

Screen Reviews

post #162 of 201 Old 11-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

I'm not considering the Silverstar, however, my set-up will be very similar and I have narrowed my choices to the HP and 2500 since I will be dealing with a moderate amount of ambient light. Here are the planned details:

Panasonic AX100
Ceiling mount 7' (assume lens will be at about 6'6")
Mounted 11 feet back
Main seating at 13 feet, some on floor at 9ft and others standing around pool table and bar at 15 - 25 feet.
Room width is 13 feet (in back of room it opens to the sides, think of a T shape with the screen at the bottom of the T).
Considering a 92inch screen - 106 inch screen.

I haven't found a lot on the M2500, would it be better than the HP for the different viewing heights or would it hotspot too much with the projector so close?

The AX100 mounted only 11ft back would give you a brite enough image even on a black wall! Holy cow bra! (Not really a black wall, but you know what I mean, right?) That projector is a monster! Plenty of lumens. May I suggest looking into improving the black levels rather than the gain?

I'm testing the 2500 on my AE900U as we speak. I haven't ruled out the 2500 yet, but we'll see. It doesnt help with black levels one bit. But it's colors and brightness uniformity are great!

I've also tested the HP, which is too brite, causing it not to be uniform enough. That's projecting from 14ft back with a 100" image. The problem with high gain screens is that they are plenty brite at 0deg but move out to the end of the couch and they're too dim!

Perhaps I'm more interested in briteness uniformity than most? I have a wide viewing area and most high gain screens just dont work for me. We really need that magic physics-defying screen to hit the market sometime soon

So I ended up canning the gain idea after many hours of testing many samples, and going to every HT store I could find many times over.

My aim changed to darkening the blacks, without giving up too much briteness, or uniformity. Which has proved to be just as difficult as the initial objective of this review!

My Screen Sample Testing:
Thread:

Screen Shots:
post #163 of 201 Old 11-02-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Do any of you folks have experience with the Goo CRT White?

It is supposed to be a 1.8 gain, but during Evans (PJC) test he only measured it at 1.0, but with perfect color reproduction.

I also am trying to get as large a screen as possible with the AX100, while dealing with some ambient light as I will be doing it in a "Great Room."

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #164 of 201 Old 12-16-2006, 09:30 AM

I have waded through this thread and naturally thank all contributors - that is a way of saying - if i ask a dumb question I should know the answer to now, I apologise in adance..!

The proposed room set-up: 15' wide, PJ Throw 15', viewing in the 15' to 18' distance (room 19' long) - viewing width max 10' - PJ easy height to mount would be 6' 6" in an 8' high room.

Proposed PJ is the new JVC HD D-ILA HD1 or perhaps the Pearl.

Preferred screen width is 12'

All surfaces of room satin beige.

Screen of preference (havent checked price yet..) from recommendation here is the DaLite HP - however is max width really only 106"?!

I can presumably set PJ to fire up at target wall to set screen height at say 6" below ceiling (6" above floor)

I am looking for a punchy, refreshing image more in line with LCD displays than Plasma / traditional front mount PJs - ie I am happy to 'sacrafice' the full Cinematic effect - I am not a 'full black junky' and would be happier to be stunned by vibrant refreshing images with detail in dark areas than go on a 'black-hole' quest.

I am not sure what Fl this equates to - does 20 sound about right?

If so with say 650 Lumens available from PJ for best part of 1st year (then replace bulb) and a 87 sq ft screen, I have a theoretical target of 1740 adjusted lumens. - ie a 2.7 gain in screen brightness - am I right? - If so then the DaLite @ 2.8 would appear to fit the bill perfectly (still not checked price..)

So, if i am correct so far, the only remaining concern is the angle of incidence / reflection from PJ to a central viewer. - Even if we assume viewer is directly under PJ (prefer 3' further back) - ie viewer is 3' 6" to 4' lower than lense, and nearly 1/2 way up screen height (mid screen ht is 4') - dont know how to do diagrams on here so hope you can see where i am going.

Now then, using an approx scaled diagram and no ability or knowledge retained on logs and in absence of protractor I calculate that, vertically, the bottom of the screen is viewed 15 degrees below PJ line of incidence (halfway toward the line of reflection) - whereas the top of the screen is viewed 12 deg below PJ line of incidence (in the wrong swing from the PJ line of reflection)....

Sooo, now I am not too sure if I should worry about an Angular Reflective or regular screen (both 2.8 gain)...!! -- It would seem to me, the layman that I am vertically off axis by a max of some 15 dgrees at the bottom and that the bottom is an error that an Angular reflective would address whereas the top is negative Reflective - if you see what I mean!

If you feel that this set up is outside performance envelope of a reasonable cost screen to give excellent performance, then i guess I could drop PJ a foot without much hassle (I intend sliding it on rails to side of room into a wall cabinett for stowing) - just dont want it whining away a foot above your head in height and 3 ft in front!

Have i grasped all this theory correctly, am I really creating a problem of 15 degrees or do people simply measure from mid screen to PJ and to eye - I cant help but think that a 10 degree off axis screen will be a problem for the lower 1/3rd of my screen based on my interpretation of these formulae

This would appear to be a classic set-up other than the fact that i am looking for a vibrant image over 12' width with c 650 Lumens PJ

Clearly reducing to a 10' wide screen would mean that I only require a gain of 1.7 - presumably I could get well over 15 degrees deviation here (not re-drawn smaller screen in this room set-up to see how angles change mind) - though I couldnt see it in reviews

Am I screwing the theory somewhere?!
post #165 of 201 Old 12-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTAVE View Post

I had to put a bug zapper behind my HP because it is so bright that the flys especially would sometimes fly back and forth between the screen and the projector.

Apparently they were trying to decide which was best for them. The bug zapper (they love UV as the best of all lights) solved the problem and I seldom have to worry about flattening a bug when I roll up the screen.
post #166 of 201 Old 01-21-2007, 11:17 PM

I had the same problem for awhile, small gnats sneaking into the house with smokers would rest on the screen then be rolled up after the lights are thrown on and the dalite model c is rolled up :/

I'm happy to demo, unless you look like you simply intend to "case the joint", in which case I will introduce you to my all-steel Equipment Defense System...
post #167 of 201 Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Never roll it up!

Screen Reviews

post #168 of 201 Old 06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

Never roll it up!

Why?

Hey Tryg, I've seen some discussion going back and forth about the High-Power's angle of decreasing reflection in the vertical plane...did you observe roughly the same dropoff at 10 degrees off vertical axis and 10 degrees off horizontal axis? I would think it would drop off more horizontally than vertically...actually, I would just hope that. I'm thinking of mounting a pj 9 ft up (5 ft. above my head), 20 ft. back and sitting at 12 feet from the 106" screen...would the light dropoff of the High-Power in this scenario be a deal breaker?
post #169 of 201 Old 06-26-2007, 04:18 PM

I have the 139 inch wide model c high power. the room is approximately 17 feet wide and 23 feet deep, two rows of raised seating. The AE-900 is mounted 6 inches below the top of the screen at the back of the room. I have recently raised it to this position from much lower on the wall and I have not noticed any drop off in brightness, and the image is very bright. I bought my screen through Jason at AVS. Be sure to order the case in black, then hang the HP and enjoy.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Granger View Post

I have waded through this thread and naturally thank all contributors - that is a way of saying - if i ask a dumb question I should know the answer to now, I apologise in adance..!

The proposed room set-up: 15' wide, PJ Throw 15', viewing in the 15' to 18' distance (room 19' long) - viewing width max 10' - PJ easy height to mount would be 6' 6" in an 8' high room.

Proposed PJ is the new JVC HD D-ILA HD1 or perhaps the Pearl.

Preferred screen width is 12'

All surfaces of room satin beige.

Screen of preference (havent checked price yet..) from recommendation here is the DaLite HP - however is max width really only 106"?!

I can presumably set PJ to fire up at target wall to set screen height at say 6" below ceiling (6" above floor)

I am looking for a punchy, refreshing image more in line with LCD displays than Plasma / traditional front mount PJs - ie I am happy to 'sacrafice' the full Cinematic effect - I am not a 'full black junky' and would be happier to be stunned by vibrant refreshing images with detail in dark areas than go on a 'black-hole' quest.

I am not sure what Fl this equates to - does 20 sound about right?

If so with say 650 Lumens available from PJ for best part of 1st year (then replace bulb) and a 87 sq ft screen, I have a theoretical target of 1740 adjusted lumens. - ie a 2.7 gain in screen brightness - am I right? - If so then the DaLite @ 2.8 would appear to fit the bill perfectly (still not checked price..)

So, if i am correct so far, the only remaining concern is the angle of incidence / reflection from PJ to a central viewer. - Even if we assume viewer is directly under PJ (prefer 3' further back) - ie viewer is 3' 6" to 4' lower than lense, and nearly 1/2 way up screen height (mid screen ht is 4') - dont know how to do diagrams on here so hope you can see where i am going.

Now then, using an approx scaled diagram and no ability or knowledge retained on logs and in absence of protractor I calculate that, vertically, the bottom of the screen is viewed 15 degrees below PJ line of incidence (halfway toward the line of reflection) - whereas the top of the screen is viewed 12 deg below PJ line of incidence (in the wrong swing from the PJ line of reflection)....

Sooo, now I am not too sure if I should worry about an Angular Reflective or regular screen (both 2.8 gain)...!! -- It would seem to me, the layman that I am vertically off axis by a max of some 15 dgrees at the bottom and that the bottom is an error that an Angular reflective would address whereas the top is negative Reflective - if you see what I mean!

If you feel that this set up is outside performance envelope of a reasonable cost screen to give excellent performance, then i guess I could drop PJ a foot without much hassle (I intend sliding it on rails to side of room into a wall cabinett for stowing) - just dont want it whining away a foot above your head in height and 3 ft in front!

Have i grasped all this theory correctly, am I really creating a problem of 15 degrees or do people simply measure from mid screen to PJ and to eye - I cant help but think that a 10 degree off axis screen will be a problem for the lower 1/3rd of my screen based on my interpretation of these formulae

This would appear to be a classic set-up other than the fact that i am looking for a vibrant image over 12' width with c 650 Lumens PJ

Clearly reducing to a 10' wide screen would mean that I only require a gain of 1.7 - presumably I could get well over 15 degrees deviation here (not re-drawn smaller screen in this room set-up to see how angles change mind) - though I couldnt see it in reviews

Am I screwing the theory somewhere?!

post #170 of 201 Old 08-17-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Why?

Hey Tryg, I've seen some discussion going back and forth about the High-Power's angle of decreasing reflection in the vertical plane...did you observe roughly the same dropoff at 10 degrees off vertical axis and 10 degrees off horizontal axis?

Yes its the same on both axis

Screen Reviews

post #171 of 201 Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
how about this 80" screen here... at $400 I think it is worth a test.. but no good reviews YET... I may get one for my VP12S4.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...=Compatibility
post #172 of 201 Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do we have a review of the DynaClear screen yet?

Screen Reviews

post #173 of 201 Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Tryg,

This is from awhile back but... wondering if you're contradicting yourself..? I'm trying to decide between the two screens so I'm wondering which one you give top honors.

You refer to "upgrading" from the SilverStar at the start of your post "HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1". However, years earlier you preferred the HP at the start of your post "White, Grey, or Silver - A Review!" post as stated below.

"Of course, then the High Power sheds ambient light better. This is definitely attributed to it’s obvious viewing cone and under the right conditions, like higher ambient light and watching sports, it would be an awesome product. For watching movies, I would definitely take the SilverStar. It felt like it had more depth and the screen tended to just disappear more. I’ve heard people say this same thing when going from a matte white screen to a grey screen. The SilverStar exhibits this same quality but at a gain of over 3. High gain, detail, and depth. It’s pretty awesome, and in many ways a stunning combination."
post #174 of 201 Old 03-25-2009, 02:40 AM

wow..impressive and interesting! Thank you for good info.
post #175 of 201 Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

I just got off the phone with a local retailer that claimed that the Draper luma 2 glass beaded screen was *identical* to the high power.

Any word on whether this is the case as I couldn't find any confirmation online? I was also wondering if anyone around here has tried this ~2.8 gain screen.

Not that it matters much, as I can still get the HP here in Canada for about $100 cheaper than the draper glass beaded even though I am ordering from USA.
post #176 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Very nice review!

One question, though...how can the high gain screens be viable with such low viewing angles, when SMPTE recommends a 30 degree viewing angle, and THX recommends a 36 degree viewing angle? It seems like you'll just end up with a screen that is bright in the middle, and dim to the sides.

Michael
post #177 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Very nice review!

One question, though...how can the high gain screens be viable with such low viewing angles, when SMPTE recommends a 30 degree viewing angle, and THX recommends a 36 degree viewing angle? It seems like you'll just end up with a screen that is bright in the middle, and dim to the sides.

Michael

The HP screen does not have hot spotting issues.
post #178 of 201 Old 08-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

The HP screen does not have hot spotting issues.

I realize that, but since the brightness falls off at 10 degrees, and THX recommends 36 degrees (equivalent to 18 degrees off to the side), then it seems like it is going to be much dimmer on the sides than the center.

Michael
post #179 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Your statement is true for angular reflective screens and false for retroreflective screens. The reason is that retroreflective screens reflect most of their light back to the source. As long as a viewer's eyes are close to the projector lens, every point on the retroreflective screen will appear uniformly bright.

If you are technically inclined and want more info on this subject, please see my All Screen Gain Calculator thread linked below.

post #180 of 201 Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"then it seems like it is going to be much dimmer on the sides than the center."

It will be dimmer *from* the sides, but uniform.

Noah
Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Vutec , Da Lite High Power Hdtv Format Ascender Electric Projector Screen , Stewart , Da Lite Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page