Which size to buy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By pitpat
  • 2 Post By redstang
  • 1 Post By bytebuster

post #1 of 13 Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Which size to buy?

Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on which screen size to purchase. I'll be sitting 11-12ft from the screen and having trouble deciding between 106" or 112". I don't want to have to move my head or shift my eyes around to follow what is going on.

Naturally I would like to go to 112" but not if it will strain my eyes and other viewers eyes over long periods.

Please provide your expert feedback on this final decision of my HT setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-31-2016, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
there will be very little difference there, so go with the larger size.

in fact, any chance a 120" is less expensive?
witchdoctor, redstang and m1976ali like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-31-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 273
With a 16:9 screen, 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance is considered about average. That is, most people would have no problem viewing a 120" screen from 12'. Compared with a commercial cinema, that represents about the equivalent field of vision of sitting toward the back. Those who like to sit more toward the front of a commercial theater would want a larger than 120" screen when viewing from 12'.

The smart way to determine the best screen size before investing in one is to buy the projector first and project on a blank wall. Try watching a variety of content on a variety of image sizes until you find the biggest size you can watch without getting eyestrain. Then just measure the diagonal of that image and order a screen of that size. Just be sure the projector you buy has a throw range and zoom range to be able to project the range of image sizes that you think you might be likely to consider.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Agreed; buy the projector first and project to the wall with your given seating position and distance.

I sit almost 11 feet back from a 9 foot wide scope screen (which is like watching scope movies at 124" in terms of 16x9) and it feels more like sitting in the upper 1/3 to middle or or thereabouts in a commercial theater.

Initially, I bought the projector before getting the screen and projected to the wall. I tried 9 feet back from 124" 16x9 but that felt like front row'ish or IMAX type viewing which was too straining on my eyes.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-31-2016, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Other issue is that I get a better price buying a projector and screen togetger, rather than purchasing them individually. Hence the difficult choice deciding. Unfortunately 120" won't fit on my wall so thanks to all your feedback I'm now leaning towards the 112". Thanks everyone!
post #6 of 13 Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 904
112" should be a decent size that won't seem overwhelming at 11-12 feet.

post #7 of 13 Old 02-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro6 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice on which screen size to purchase. I'll be sitting 11-12ft from the screen and having trouble deciding between 106" or 112". I don't want to have to move my head or shift my eyes around to follow what is going on.

Naturally I would like to go to 112" but not if it will strain my eyes and other viewers eyes over long periods.

I sit about 12-13' from my screen and it is 126" - I wouldn't want it any smaller.

Think about when you go to a theater, where you sit, and how wide the screen appears to be.
Pedro6 and Homth8r like this.

Marantz SR-18
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5
Panasonic AE8000U
Polk SDA SRS 3.1TL, Polk surrounds, DefTech Subs
post #8 of 13 Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I understand the urge to buy a deal with projector and screen together but there is also more to the screen than the size factor you will find out about watching on a flat white wall. That is about what most package deal screens are is a basic 1.0 white screen.

Getting back to screen size here is what you can do. Go to your local movie theater and get there a bit early and go to a movie that’s not going to be a sellout show. Take along a tape measure or a piece of string. When you get there pick your seat as if you could sit in your perfect seat in the theater, right in the center and as far back as you like the image to seem. Sit down and take out the tape measure and at arm’s length measure the width of the screen. When you get home take your chair and set it where you will be sitting and have someone stick two pieces of tape on the wall where you tell them. Do it by again using the tape measure and telling them where you are seeing the two ends of your measurement. Now get up and measure the two places and that is your width. Plug that number into any one of a 1000 screen calculators on line and it will tell you the diagonal size that perfect for you. Pick the one closest to that size.

Bud

post #9 of 13 Old 02-01-2016, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I understand the urge to buy a deal with projector and screen together but there is also more to the screen than the size factor you will find out about watching on a flat white wall. That is about what most package deal screens are is a basic 1.0 white screen.

Getting back to screen size here is what you can do. Go to your local movie theater and get there a bit early and go to a movie that’s not going to be a sellout show. Take along a tape measure or a piece of string. When you get there pick your seat as if you could sit in your perfect seat in the theater, right in the center and as far back as you like the image to seem. Sit down and take out the tape measure and at arm’s length measure the width of the screen. When you get home take your chair and set it where you will be sitting and have someone stick two pieces of tape on the wall where you tell them. Do it by again using the tape measure and telling them where you are seeing the two ends of your measurement. Now get up and measure the two places and that is your width. Plug that number into any one of a 1000 screen calculators on line and it will tell you the diagonal size that perfect for you. Pick the one closest to that size.

I just managed to borrow a projector from work which will put all this guessing game to rest. I appreciate your idea and input!

FYI the screen is a EluneVision Reference Studio 4k
post #10 of 13 Old 02-01-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I just managed to borrow a projector from work which will put all this guessing game to rest. I appreciate your idea and input!

FYI the screen is a EluneVision Reference Studio 4k
Thats a great idea.

Bud

post #11 of 13 Old 02-01-2016, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Be sure to try all sorts of distances. I like sitting about 9' from a 110" screen for 16:9 content. I actually like looking around a little bit from right to left, makes me feel like I'm there. For Scope content is actually seems a little small. But my room is narrow, so no scope screen for me!

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #12 of 13 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Distance and screen size is so subjective. I prefer a 100 inch 16:9 screen at 12 feet distance. Best to play around with different combinations before ordering
DavidHir likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

By my calculations, your longest viewing distance (12') and largest screen (112") would give you almost exactly the 40 deg FOV that THX says is the goal. Personally I like viewing 2.35 material from 1 screen width and 16:9 material from 1.6 screen widths.

Last edited by erkq; Today at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens