Projection screen for w1070 (for movies in dark) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By airscapes

post #1 of 13 Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help me choose projection screen for w1070 (for movies in dark)

Could you help me pick the screen if I decide to go for w1070.

I will be watching only movies in dark so I'd like to know what screen is the best for that situation(150eur max)

Maybe the better question would be what screen will provide the best contrast and better black levels. Is it white, grey or glass bead. How do these 3 fare in dark and what's the best solution?

I was looking at these:
Grey http://www.amazon.co.uk/120-16-motor...tor+Screen+120
White http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxtra-120-M...tor+Screen+120
Glass Bead http://www.amazon.co.uk/120-Glass-Be...tor+Screen+120

By the way I'd like to reduce the light on side walls as much as possible. So my room stays dark.

Few things to add:
Wall is just under 3m wide and walls around are brownish but not dark brown. For reference it's similar to this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NCOxWfGgBg.../Picture+5.png Ceiling is white.
As a matter of fact I don't know if I should go with 100" one because of my wall being 3m wide so I don't get too much light from PJ on side walls if I go 120"...

Last edited by Gothamite; 02-18-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 276
The ceiling is normally the closest surface to the screen and white is the worst color it can be. If you really want to have the best possible image you will need to treat at least the first 5' from the screen out in all directions.
If you are going to be in the dark with no other light source as it should be and the walls and ceiling are not white, then you want a white screen. As far as which screen you want one with no visible texture, sparklies or color shift. With screens you get what you pay for when it comes to these surface specs and then there is build quality.
This screen fabric report will answer many questions you have and have not thought to ask. There are some economy screen that are very good, I do not know which ones off hand but you may want to search this forum to see what screens people have had good luck with.
http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/...een_report.pdf

You really should look at major manufactures apposed to amazon as they will send you screen samples so you can project on them to help determine which fabric will produce the brightest artifact free image. It is normally recommended to buy the projector before the screen for this reason.
There is also a DIY screen forum (link at top of main screen page) where you can learn about painting your own screen. This of course requires some DIY skills but many people like to start with DIY.

The room treatment (Ceiling, sidewalls and floor) is just as important if not more so than the screen itself. Reason being, a $5000 high contrast projector can looks like a $1000 entry level projector if the reflected light is not properly controlled.

There are many threads on AVS about how to treat the room including this one which is more about removing ALL reflection but has many great ideas.
"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?)

This is what I did form my white livingroom, I have several posts in the above thread that describes what I did as well as comments under the images after you click on the thumb nails
Livingroom Updated for projection
Patriot666 likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Last edited by airscapes; 02-19-2016 at 11:50 AM.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Go with a fixed frame screen and get the largest size possible (within reason depending on your viewing distance). Pull down screens develop waves, or have them right out of the box. I can only recommend Silver Ticket because that is what I own, and it's an excellent value imo. I had a white pull down, returned it due to waves for the grey fixed screen, and honestly I didn't notice much of a difference in black levels but the flat surface of the fixed screen was 100% better. The black levels can only get so good with the W1070, the rest depends on the darkness of your room. I recommend putting black velvet on your screen wall and a few feet out on the ceiling. If you have more length than width in the room you could go with an acoustic transparent screen and put your speakers behind it. You'd end up with a wall of screen, IMAX type feel. That's what I'll be going for in my next setup.

Last edited by Patriot666; 02-19-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replies.

I'd avoid fixed frames for the time being as I can't find the place for it.

Electric or manual pull-down would be ideal as I'm more convinced I should go for a 100" so that I can have some space between side walls.
But since I will be watching movies only in dark with no ambient light I guess the reflection lights can't hurt the blacks that much?
I mean I won't mind the reflection that much if it doesn't affect the image quality. Even my PC monitor casts some reflection while in complete dark.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Thanks for replies.

I'd avoid fixed frames for the time being as I can't find the place for it.

Electric or manual pull-down would be ideal as I'm more convinced I should go for a 100" so that I can have some space between side walls.
But since I will be watching movies only in dark with no ambient light I guess the reflection lights can't hurt the blacks that much?
I mean I won't mind the reflection that much if it doesn't affect the image quality. Even my PC monitor casts some reflection while in complete dark.
I thought the same thing when I started, that my room was "dark" at night. It wasn't. The issue is the light from the pj reflecting off of the walls, ceiling, lamp shades, carpet, basically any reflective or light colored surface in the room back on to the screen. It's not an actual "reflection" like on your pc monitor or tv screen. It will lighten your blacks and therefore ruin the contrast, creating a washed out crappy looking picture. The blacker everything in your room the better.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
I thought the same thing when I started, that my room was "dark" at night. It wasn't. The issue is the light from the pj reflecting off of the walls, ceiling, lamp shades, carpet, basically any reflective or light colored surface in the room back on to the screen. It's not an actual "reflection" like on your pc monitor or tv screen. It will lighten your blacks and therefore ruin the contrast, creating a washed out crappy looking picture. The blacker everything in your room the better.
I get it but didn't you say that the difference between white pull-down and silver ticket isn't too much? Except that pull-down has tendency to curl and develop waves?
If the difference isn't too much in black levels, the difference in money certainly is.

Anyway you saw my wall color in OP, what scren would you suggest for max 150euros to watch movies at night?
post #8 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-MPS1...creen+16+9+100

This one is really tempting and it has great reviews.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I get it but didn't you say that the difference between white pull-down and silver ticket isn't too much? Except that pull-down has tendency to curl and develop waves?
If the difference isn't too much in black levels, the difference in money certainly is.

Anyway you saw my wall color in OP, what scren would you suggest for max 150euros to watch movies at night?
It's not a huge visible difference grey vs. white to my eyes, but I've been happy with my grey screen in a similar room as yours. No matter what color you get, a fixed screen will get you a better, flatter, more squared picture. Like airscapes said check out the DIY section of the forum. You can build yourself a screen for less euros than the screens you linked to on Amazon...but I've never done it myself so I can't comment on that topic.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-19-2016, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not a huge visible difference grey vs. white to my eyes, but I've been happy with my grey screen in a similar room as yours. No matter what color you get, a fixed screen will get you a better, flatter, more squared picture. Like airscapes said check out the DIY section of the forum. You can build yourself a screen for less euros than the screens you linked to on Amazon...but I've never done it myself so I can't comment on that topic.

I figured it would be cheaper but DIY screen would be fixed frame and as I said I don't have the place for it at the moment.(Because it won't go straight on the wall but on top of window curtains)
That's why I'd like someone to recommend me the best pull-down screen for the price(either manual or electric) even a tripod would do.

But let's assume one day I get my budget higher and decide to go for fixed frame. What would be the cheapest option? I'd appreciate if you could link some.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-20-2016, 06:31 AM

I'm not seeing as many screen options on Amazon UK as here in the States, but here's one close to your budget:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCW120AFF-fu...ojector+screen

Mounted to these L brackets to extend it out 6" in front of your window:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elitescreens...creens+bracket

Or 12" in front of your window:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Screen...creens+bracket
post #12 of 13 Old 02-20-2016, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not seeing as many screen options on Amazon UK as here in the States, but here's one close to your budget:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCW120AFF-fu...ojector+screen

Mounted to these L brackets to extend it out 6" in front of your window:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elitescreens...creens+bracket

Or 12" in front of your window:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Screen...creens+bracket
That's the thing, I'm not even from UK. The ones you linked they don't ship it to Serbia. But now I have the reference so I can dig deeper, so thanks.

So to sum it up, fixed frame either white or grey, reduces reflected light of PJ much more than pull-downs and it's much better choice if you don't have very dark walls?
post #13 of 13 Old 02-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
That's the thing, I'm not even from UK. The ones you linked they don't ship it to Serbia. But now I have the reference so I can dig deeper, so thanks.

So to sum it up, fixed frame either white or grey, reduces reflected light of PJ much more than pull-downs and it's much better choice if you don't have very dark walls?
The grey screen helps increase contrast in rooms that aren't fully dark. Fixed frame screens are superior to pull-downs for a long list of reasons, but the actual frame type has no effect on light reflection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page