Owner's report Grandview 120" curved screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ted99
  • 1 Post By Scarriere
  • 1 Post By uniquepattern
  • 1 Post By Ted99
post #1 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Owner's report Grandview 120" curved screen

I was researching a new screen for a smaller HT to replace the one I built in 2005 in my former house with a 2.35 12' wide Stewart Studiotec 130 with a Sim2 1080p 3-chip DLP projector and anamorphic lens. I had moved to an in-town hi-rise condo and downsized from 5000sf to 1800 sf.
I found the Grandview 120" 16:9 curved listed on both ProjectorScreen.com and B&H PhotoVideo at less than $1000 MSRP, shipped, with significant discounts from that. It looked good, but I had never heard of Grandview and a search for Granview Screens turned up little user information. Seems they are big in Canada, Australia and China (where they are made) but with little presence in the US home theater market. The 120" 16:9 size fit perfectly in the spot I had picked and the curved feature was very desirable for my application, where the throw ratio would be a very short 1.37. My former HT had a very long throw ratio and worked fine with a flat screen. I was afraid of a pin cushion effect at the edges of a flat screen with a 1.37 TR. Another factor was the ability to get the unassembled screen in the elevator of my hi-rise. The shipping package was the same length as the top and bottom rails, because of the way the side rails attached. It fit in the elevator with a little room to spare and gave me the extra rigidity of full length rails not needing to be spliced in the middle. I'll follow with assembly and mounting of the screen
Scarriere likes this.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, Sony HW-30ES/ Grandview 120" curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LSiC center, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.

Last edited by Ted99; 03-21-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is a picture of the unpacked screen and the shipping box. The damage to the box happened when I opened it. It arrived by truck intact. The packing was so elaborate that it took a half-hour to reach the stage shown in the picture. The second picture is all of the components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010195.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1327985   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010196.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	1327993  

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, Sony HW-30ES/ Grandview 120" curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LSiC center, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
post #3 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a 92" Grandview and like it. I'm no videophile, but it suits my needs. If I had the space, I would've went bigger.
Ted99 likes this.
post #4 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The corner brackets are already attached to the side rails and connect to the top and bottom rails with a single allen-head bolt and a locating pin. Very tight mechanically. I used some loc-tite on the allen bolt threads. The frame has very substantial aluminum extrusions, covered with black velvet. The first picture shows the corner before tightening the bolt. I assembled the frame backside up and then attached the screen material. The attachment is very simple with a full length aluminum rod threaded through a loop welded to each edge and a series of buttonholes along the edge that fit over sliding plastic pegs that are in channels in the extrusion. The second picture shows the top right corner with the rods and buttonhole pegs. The rods come with soft plastic ends to prevent damage to the fabric as they are threaded through the loops. The third picture shows the back of the frame with the fabric attached. It was very easy. No herculean effort to loop the buttonholes over the plastic pegs and the fabric was immediately tight with no wrinkles. I started at one end and looped all of the buttonholes over all of the pegs on one end, except for the two closest to the corners. The instructions say to leave these for last. I then worked my way along the frame from one end to the other doing the top and bottom together. The support rods easily conformed to the curve. You can clearly see the curve in this picture. The last picture shows the back of the screen in an upright position
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010197.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	1328001   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010205.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1328009   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010202.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1328017   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010201.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	1328033  

post #5 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attaching the curved screen to the wall is very simple. There are two wall support brackets for the top and bottom frame rails which screw to the wall. The top and bottom support rails are attached by a fabric tape of the right length to hold the bottom bracket at the correct distance from the top. Drill a hole for the center top screw and attach it to the wall. Level and put in four more screws. The picture shows the top support rail attached at the height I wanted and the lower rail pulled out to show how it is suspended from the top. Just let gravity work and screw the lower bracket into the wall. Each bracket has a channel in the top edge next to the wall that four "L" shaped brackets screwed to the top and bottom frame rails just slide into the channel next to the wall. I put a piece of masking tape at the point where the L bracket slides against the wall to protect the wall paint. Earlier pictures show the four black colored "L" brackets. Everything is pre-drilled and I couldn't figure out any way to put anything in the wrong place. Each of the four L brackets is labeled and it's corresponding position on the frame is labeled. Once the Screen is slid into the brackets, there are two screws that attach the bottom rail of the frame to the bottom bracket so that someone cannot accidentally lift the frame out of it's channels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010206.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1328081  

Last edited by Ted99; 03-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.
post #6 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This picture shows the screen mounted on the wall. I chose a grey fabric with .8 gain. It is extremely smooth and has no discernable grain. I left my Sim2 in my former house and it wouldn't have been suitable for this very short throw ratio in any event. I'm waiting to see what CEDIA brings in the way of single-chip 4K DLP projectors with a short throw ratio. I picked the low gain grey fabric because my room does not have complete light control. Grandview also offers a 1.0 gain white fabric with black backing. Their website also says they will be offering a 1.3 gain ISF-certified white fabric screen. There do not appear to be any Ambient Light Rejection screen offerings, yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010208.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1328089  

Last edited by Ted99; 03-21-2016 at 10:13 AM.
post #7 of 13 Unread 03-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I love my 106" Grandview! Beautiful Quality...

I was actually looking at upgrading to the same screen you got...

So, how do you like it?
Ted99 likes this.

...some of us just really love bass...

My DIY Subwoofers: This is going to destroy my house...
My Theatre: uniquepattern's asylum

post #8 of 13 Unread 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
I love my 106" Grandview! Beautiful Quality...

I was actually looking at upgrading to the same screen you got...

So, how do you like it?
Love it. Probably the best quality/price ratio available. I say that from having had a Stewart and a DIY 16:9 96" wide screen I used with a Benq 1070 for gaming in a room with about the same degree of light control. Screen is very taut and the grey is a good choice if you have a little ambient light ( I have some from an uncovered SGD that is around the corner and a non-blackout screen over a kitchen window about 25' away. I used the Benq and this screen for movies after dark, when I do have dark, but not black because of ambient city light. In the day, I use the Sammy 75" 4K for TV programs. I've sold the Benq before it lost most of it's value after the next generation of single-chip 4K PJ's become available and I'll just use the TV until I get one of those. With my inability to go to a bat cave, a PJ at the high end for maximum contrast would be overkill. When I get a new PJ, I'll take the screen down to paint the ceiling dark grey, matching the trim in the room. While the screen is down, I'll have a look at the ISF-certified fabric. If you have a light-controlled room the 1.0 gain matte white screen would be a good choice. It's very good for reproduction of colors, to my eye. I have one that I tried and it's excellent quality, has a black backing and is totally grain-free (also takes out any polarization, so you can use non-proprietary 3-D emitters with JVC projectors). I think the value of the new ISF-certified 4K white is the confidence that it will be color neutral with the more sophisticated screen coatings used to maximize light to the viewer.

I've got a 120" CURVED screen in 16:9 that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, let alone at this price. It's close to a custom-installer grade screen, such as Stewart. But, in Stewart's owner-grade line, I can't get ANY curved screen. I suspect the new ISF-certified fabric will be close, if not as good as the Stewart Cima fabrics and less than half the price (on-line discounters) of the flat Stewart Cima series. When I moved, I investigated shortening my Stewart 2.35 screen down to a 16:9 screen that would fit. Looked pretty easy as all I would have had to do was mitre the top and bottom rails a little shorter and use the existing Stewart corner hardware to reattach one side rail. All that was necessary was for Stewart to sell me a new 16:9 screen to snap into a "stock size" 16:9 frame. I investigated this with my original Stewart dealer who replied that Stewart would not do this because it gave the impression of a DIY project and Stewart was not in that business.

Took me 4 hours from box-opening to hanging on the wall. I could probably do a second one in 2 hours. It's dead simple, even though the instructions are a little terse.
Scarriere likes this.

post #9 of 13 Unread 05-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
This picture shows the screen mounted on the wall. I chose a grey fabric with .8 gain. It is extremely smooth and has no discernable grain. I left my Sim2 in my former house and it wouldn't have been suitable for this very short throw ratio in any event. I'm waiting to see what CEDIA brings in the way of single-chip 4K DLP projectors with a short throw ratio. I picked the low gain grey fabric because my room does not have complete light control. Grandview also offers a 1.0 gain white fabric with black backing. Their website also says they will be offering a 1.3 gain ISF-certified white fabric screen. There do not appear to be any Ambient Light Rejection screen offerings, yet
What is your opinion of the fabric besides the texture? How does it perform in bright scenes with lots of white? I am considering buying a flat fixed screen using the exact same material.

Last edited by jaychatbonneau; 05-30-2016 at 09:56 AM.
post #10 of 13 Unread 05-30-2016, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Performs well in bright scenes with lots of white. But, it's not as good as matte white in a bat cave. Initially, my room was not light controlled--dark but still indirect light from other windows around the corner. The gray helped in keeping the picture from washing out (about 800 lumens from a Benq 1070). Since then, I have painted the ceiling and walls black and hung black blackout curtains over the open side of the room. Became almost a bat cave (dark brown rug and chairs). In that environment, one could see that the whites were a little dulled. I changed the screen to the 1.0 matte white and dullness went away. The gray is a cheap solution for a non-light controlled room. It is not a substitute for a true ambient light rejecting screen.

post #11 of 13 Unread Today, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As soon as the isf-certified UHD 130 fabric became available, I got a replacement fabric for my frame. This makes the third fabric 1) the .8 gain grey that I used when I didn't have good light control, 2) the matte white 1.0 gain that I got when I was able to completely light control my room, and 3) the isf certified 4/8K 1.3 gain fabric that is now installed. This has been a learning experience for me. When one has a curved screen, as is mine, the experts on the AVS forum (including the owner of Stewart Screens), say that you must use a fabric with at least 1.3 gain. Why? Because with a curved screen, the uniform light dispersion given by matte 1.0 and lower screens causes light projected on one side of the screen to reflect to the other side of the screen. This is great for wide angle viewing but it causes a small amount of washout and will reduce the contrast ratio of the screen. A screen with gain reflects back more light than was projected on the screen and concentrates it in a narrower viewing angle. For instance, the matte white fabric still has almont 1.0 gain at 80 degrees to the side, while the 1.3 gain isf-certified fabric is down to .8 gain at just 60 degrees to the side. At an angle of 85 degrees, which would allow reflected light from the projected image to impinge on other parts of the screen, the gain is effectively zero.

Another benefit of the 1.3 gain screen is better reproduction of HDR, for which projectors are not nearly as good as direct-view TV's.

It took me an hour, from removing the screen to reinstalling it on the wall. The fabric fastening system is really easy to use.

post #12 of 13 Unread Today, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, how does it look? I used a simple Olympus point and shoot camera (without flash) to capture screen shots form the movie "Australia". One was with the room completely dark, and the other was with a 50w. halogen reading light over my shoulder turned on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010235.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	1569473   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010236.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1569481  

post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My sig shows I'm using an old Sony 1080P SXRD HW-30ES projector running on low (eco) lamp mode, awaiting the purchase of a 4K projector. The projector has been adjusted to the settings other users have reported, but has not been calibrated. The picture is brighter than the 1.0 gain matte white fabric I was using and the colors are brighter, despite that I was formerly using high lamp mode. The isf-certified fabric gets a big thumbs up from me. I sit 10' from the 120" screen and absolutely no pixels or screen grain can be seen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens