Best screen to pair Sony VPL-HW40ES (owner experience) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Best screen to pair Sony VPL-HW40ES (owner experience)

Hi,

Does anyone here have a strong opinion on pairing Sony VPL-HW40ES, ceiling mounted with the Best Screen material (NO-DIY), budget approx $1200-1300.

Room dimensions 10' High × 14' wide × 34' long. I want to go as BIG as possible in this space, with total light control (basement room).

So far on radar, CARADA BW, Seymour Non-AT, SILVER TICKET matte white. Any first hand experience with any of these, am I missing any good screen material ? How big can I go on a 10' × 14' feet wall ?

Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shete.prakash View Post
Hi,

Does anyone here have a strong opinion on pairing Sony VPL-HW40ES, ceiling mounted with the Best Screen material (NO-DIY), budget approx $1200-1300.

Room dimensions 10' High × 14' wide × 34' long. I want to go as BIG as possible in this space, with total light control (basement room).

So far on radar, CARADA BW, Seymour Non-AT, SILVER TICKET matte white. Any first hand experience with any of these, am I missing any good screen material ? How big can I go on a 10' × 14' feet wall ?

Best,

With my ceiling mounted 40ES I'm using a BW Carada 134", 17' throw and seating at 14'. I use reference mode (low lamp) and it looks awesome! I'm in a complete light controlled room. I have 1020 hours on the bulb so far and it looks just like the day I got it. I couldn't be happier and would choose exactly the same if I were buying today. I would have liked to of added a Masquerade system to go with the screen but it seems too expensive.

-Tom

Last edited by Tom899; 04-22-2016 at 07:13 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2016, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
With my ceiling mounted 40ES I'm using a BW Carada 134", 17' throw and seating at 14'. I use reference mode (low lamp) and it looks awesome! I'm in a complete light controlled room. I have 1020 hours on the bulb so far and it looks just like the day I got it. I couldn't be happier and would choose exactly the same if I were buying today. I would have liked to of added a Masquerade system to go with the screen but it seems too expensive.
Tom, really appreciate your feedback, I am incling towards BW CARADA 150ish..I just received CARADA samples will run some test over the weekend. Cheers, mate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hi,

Best,
get a textureless surface for the maximum clarity on that projector. We often pair it with the Stewart Cima Neve 1.1 surface. The Stewart Neve is also ISF certified for 100% accurate color reproduction.
For those looking for a little extra gain we really like the Grandview UHD130 surface. It is 1.3 gain, but also textureless and ISF certified like the Neve surface.

Regards,
Brian G.
A/V Nerd @ www.ProjectorScreen.com
We're Hiring! - https://www.projectorscreen.com/careers - Riverdale, NJ
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
get a textureless surface for the maximum clarity on that projector. We often pair it with the Stewart Cima Neve 1.1 surface. The Stewart Neve is also ISF certified for 100% accurate color reproduction.
For those looking for a little extra gain we really like the Grandview UHD130 surface. It is 1.3 gain, but also textureless and ISF certified like the Neve surface.
Any higher Gaon material >1.8 gain out there. My mind is hung up on pairing my brand new HW40ES on screen that is 150 to 160" diag. Any daredevils out there who have experimented HW40ES with high gain++ bigger screens (160"++ diagonal) ??

I am also vetting black flame, Silverfire paint from MM. Thoughts, suggestions, criticism ??

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I have a two year old so I wanted an inexpensive screen that could easily be replaced if she broke out the crayons. I'm more than pleased with my Silver Ticket white screen (my room is fully light controlled). It's not entirely color neutral but I was able to dial the picture in reasonably well with the 40ES's (limited) adjustments.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-04-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I also use the silver ticket screen with my HW30ES.

I don't settle for it's limited adjustments tho... I use a 3DLUT made in DisplayCal to dial in a perfect calibration.

-Brian
post #8 of 8 Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked: 2461
Quote:
Hi,

Best,
Another vote here for the Stewart Cima Neve screen. I love mine. Give us a call for a quote if you would like.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread